What are people's opinions on the best aspect ratio for education? I've done some searches and found surprisingly little info on the web (specifically relating to education or in general).
I'm not a fan of widescreen for the following reasons;
- You get between 8%-12% less LCD for the same size (diagonal length) display (depending on whether it's 16:10 or 16:9).
- Not particularily well suited to word processing because pages tend to be portrait (not landscape).
- Not well suited for webbrowsing for the same reason.
- The top of the monitor is usally lower in height than on 4:3, which could increase kneck strain if the monitor is placed directly onto the desk (H&S guidelines say that your eye should be level with the top of the display).
The only advantages I can see are:
- Can use double page view in Word
- Good for widescreen video
- Cheaper than 4:3
I personally think that they are a bit of a con by the manufacturers, they are being pushed not because they are better, but because they are cheaper to manufacturer (due to less LCD being needed). But you get less for your money.