Tilting laptops to make them work
We've (Stu and I) come across a strange problem. A laptop trolley contains 30 identical HP nx6110 laptops running Windows XP. 4 of these laptops have recently developed a problem where by they hang at POST.
If you tilt the laptop, it will continue to boot... stopping the tilting causes it to hang again... etc.
We tried the usual stuff:
- Re-image: hangs during re-imaging
- Hardware (memory, hard disk, etc.) test: all come back OK
- Re-seating every component: this took a while!
- Re-setting the BIOS options: didn't do anything
- Removing combo drives (which have had their lasers prised out by the little darlings!): nothing
What else can we try? Do we just need to start writing these off?