It's taken me a while to get back to this. I've tried connecting through a serial cable (and enabled the serial port in BIOS and checked COM1 appears in the device manager).
Still no joy. It just won't connect.
I've got 2 boards in a simlar situation.
One is serial only - connecting though direct serial or serial-USB converter doesn't work.
The other has a USB port - it will connect though direct serial to XP but not Win7, it won't connect though USB to either XP or win7.
I think it may be a problem with Windows 7 and serial connections. I don't know.
I'll lift the boards off, get the serial numbers, and contact Promethean.
deleted - posted twice in error
I've got it working. The ActiveDriver installer does not install the serial component by default.
I ran the ActivDriver installer twice. On the second run, it gives the option to modify. Select modify, then select the serial component.
Also requires the Keyspan driver.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is the exact problem im having and its doing it on a few other boards as well. They were working fine before but did have to select USB+Serial when installing the driver like above but its not working anymore. Ive tried the following so far:
- Latest driver installed
- When driver was installed USB + Serial was selected
- Latest Keyspan driver installed for USB to Serial adapter
- COM Port on serial adapter and driver both the same
- Driver reinstalled several times
- Old driver installed again as worked before to see if it worked again
- In Device Manager all the drivers are showing up as being installed properly
- Light on Keyspan USB to Serial adapter on but flashing
- Power to Whiteboard is fine
Had similar problems here, however we succesfully use cheap usb-serial adaptors from USB NOW code VE229 + Cable at under a tenner. These have an FTDI chipset and have worked reliably here on Activboards purchased in 2003!!