HP Printer web-interface over HTTPS
Thought I'd make a note of this as it's one that's bugged me for a while and I never realised the source until now.
- More than one network equipped HP printer on your network.
- Https connection to the web interface of one printer works ok
- Https connection to a different printer gives error that the certificate serial number has already been associated to a different hardware item
- Firefox in particular refuses to let you connect to any additional printers in this way.
- HP Have only created a single security certificate for all their printers so firefox throws out the bathwater and refuses to connect
- Connect to the printers using IE (it doesn't get so uppity)
- Turn off HTTPS redirect required in the network settings
- Repeat for each printer
- Use HTTP to connect to the printers from here on out.
- Use IE
- Accept certificates for session only (not permanent)
- Only ever connect to one printer during a session
- Shutdown and restart your firefox browser each time you want to go to a different printer.
Ref: The full error (minus the bit about contacting your admin)
You have recieved an invalid certificate. (snip)
Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issues by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number.