New work station for me in the office. £550(ex VAT) limit at the moment...
No monitor or peripherals needed.Attachment 22121
Here is what I have so far... any recommendations / changes?! :)
- Intel Core i5-3330 3.00GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-Bit - OEM (FQC-08289)
- Gigabyte Z87-D3HP Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
- Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Drive SATA 6Gb/s 3 2.5" (7mm height) Solid State Hard Drive - (SV300S37A/120G)
- GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit (GD38GB1333C9DC)
- Toshiba (7K1000.D) 1TB SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache - OEM (DT01ACA100) HDD Toshiba (7K1000.D) 1TB SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache - OEM (DT01ACA100) HDD
- OcUK Crusade 550W Dual-Rail High Efficiency '80 Plus' Power Supply
- Xigmatek Asgard III Gaming Case - Black
- Asus GeForce GT 210 SILENT Low Profile 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- Asus 24x DVD±RW DRW-24F1ST SATA ReWriter - Black (Retail)
Ditch the slow RAM and ancient graphics card (which will be slower than the onboard GPU on the processor). Spec a Haswell rather than IVB i5 too, your chosen motherboard is LGA 1150, IVB is 1155.
Yeah go haswell and I would consider 16gb of ram but it depends on if you will run hyper-v etc locally (its built into w8 btw)
The other thing is will you really need a dvd drive? I just bought a bluray burner thats usb powered so I never have that problem again especially since laptops are getting rid too slowly.
Windows can be built from USB as well.
and get Windows 8 ffs. Your an IT guy, not a Victorian.
No No No No No No No
Originally Posted by robjduk
yes yes yes. Stop being a scumbag luddite and move on.
what he said!
Originally Posted by Quackers
Spec'd Haswell & faster RAM.
For the GFX I want dual DVI monitors, what will be the best way to achive this then ?
Yeah I use the CD/DVD pretty often so will be useful!
8GB RAM should be enough, don't really run any VMs locally - but will be cheap enough to upgrade later if needed.
And no thanks to Windows 8 FFS.
Get a Samsung 840 EVO instead, faster SSD and still a good price. 840 Pro is better yet but not so cheap.
RAM speed, FWIW, isn't going to make a massive difference I don't think - not in gaming at least, and not for day to day workloads - but 1600MHz tends to be cheaper than 1333MHz anyway :)
GT210 is fine for dual-DVI, I've got a 430 or something in mine to do the same job.