New Servers for Hyper-V 2012
Hi guys can you give me your recommendations for what to buy here
OK I will tell you what server hardware/setup we have at the moment. :)
We have two networks, admin and curriculum. We want to merge these together, these are separated by VLAN. We have three VLANs at the momment, one for admin. Second for curriculum. Third for VOIP.
The servers for the curriculum network are on a Intel Modular Server Chassis (MFSYS25) and using 5 modular servers with this (MFS5000SI) you can actually put 6 of these modular servers in the chassis
- 14x Toshiba MBF2600RC 600GB SAS Drives 10KRPM
- 4x 1000W PSUs
- 1x Storage Controller
- 1x Networking Switch
- 1x Management Module
- Integrated Shared SAN
Modular Server Specs (All 5 are the same spec)
- 8GB DDR2 FB-DIMM(4x 2048 @ 667MHZ)
- 2x Intel Xeon CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz (4 Cores)
We have other servers, but they are no good for Hyper-V so I won't go into the specs of them.
Other servers we have are
- 1x SIMS/FMS Server
- 1x Serco Facility & ePortal Server
- 1x Admin DC/DNS/DHCP/WDS/FileServer
- 2x Remote Desktop Servers
- 1x Backup Server (DPM)
- 1x Mitel Mobile Server
- 1x Mac Server
We don't have fail-over clustering enabled, we have too little RAM :( Hosts are 2012 Core Hyper-V with CSV storage enabled
What virtual servers we are running at the moment.
- DC1 - DC/DNS/DHCP/GC/FSMO Roles (2012 Server Core)
- DC2 - DC/DNS/KMS/GC (2012 Server Core)
- APP Server - Only a File Server for 6 apps atm, some just databases (2012 Server Core)
- Microsoft APP-V Server (2012 Server)
- Exchange 2010 Server (2008 R2 Server)
- File Server
- Gateway Server - RDGateway/RDBroker/RDWeb (2012 Server)
- Impero Server (2012 Server)
- Print Server (2012 Server With GUI & Tools Removed)
- SCCM 2012 - Haven't even install SCCM On this yet (2012 Server)
- SQL Server - SQL2008R2 & SQL2012 (2012 Server)
- WDS Server - Will not need one SCCM is setup (2012 Server)
- Web Server
- TMG 2010 Server (Only used to publish websites/services to the outside world)
- X86 Windows 8 Client - To make deployment images
- X64 Windows 8 Client - To make deployment images
- APP Sequencer Packager Client (Windows 8)
We want to expand what we run with the new servers. Ideally we would like to run to extra things
- System Center 2012 Suite
- Sharepoint 2013
- Lync Server 2013
- Probably some other stuff too, that I can't think of now
So what do you think is the best to get?
We also have 14x 146GB SAS 10K SAS Drive spare from when we upgraded to 600GB Drives.
Im thinking off the following
Intel Chassis Components
x1 - Intel Chassis (MFSYS25V2)
x2 - 1000W PSU (AXXPSU) -This will make chassis have 4x1000W PSUs
x1 - 2ND SAN Storage Controller (AXXSCM3S)
x1 - 2ND Networking Switch (AXXSW1GB)
x6 Extra Intel Ethernet Ports (AXXGBIOMEZV) - Make each host have 4 Ethernet ports
x1 Intel Shared LUN Licence Key (MFSLUNKEY) - Enables the Shared SAN Feature.
x14 - 480GB Intel SSDSC2CW480A310
x14 Hard Drive Connection Converter (AXXTM3SATA) This converts the hard drive connection to fit the Intel chassis.
Intel Server Components
x6 - Intel Modular Server MFS2600KI (No Memory, Holds 16 RAM Modules, No CPU, Holds 2 CPU)
72x M393B1K70DH0-CK0 (8GB RAM) - 96GB Per Host
CPU - Options (Only will choose one of course)
x12 - 2.20GHZ E5-2660 8Core
x12 - 2.00GHZ E5-2650 8Core
x12 - 1.8GHZ E5-2650L 8Core
x12 - 2.5GHZ E5-2640 6 Core
Now thing to think about
How can we make use of the 14x600GB Drives and the 14x146GB Drives?
Method 1 that I'm thinking of. Get a SAN and place these into it? Keeping the SSDs in the New Intel chassis for the Virtual Servers. And using the new SAN (Technically the second SAN) for a massive file server? Were only just using over 1TB at the moment on the current fileserver. Don't know where the MACs in Music/Art should be connected to this? And maybe buy a few more SSDs to place into the old chassis and configure the 5 old modular servers to use as Remote Desktop hosts only.
Method 2 that I'm thinking of. Re install two of the modular servers on the old chassis to 2 Hyper-V hosts again, still with the 600GB drives installed in the chassis, this will allow for a large file server. Setting up two new virtual file servers and somehow configure it so if one of the virtual server turns off, the other takes the load, ie helps with maintenance without everyone losing the link to the file server. And also configure the 3 other modular server to Remote Desktop hosts.
So anyone got any better ideas/suggestions on how to configure this setup software/hardware, just need peoples thoughts :)
Thanks, also sorry for the long post!
EDIT: Sorry forgot to say, that is got to last 5 years!
Another EDIT: If a SAN, what SAN is best? HP? Windows Storage Server? or is that just software?