+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New Stone PC wont wake up on lan in Technical; I dunno if im missing something. But we are replacing the computers in 2 of our IT Rooms. The motherboards ...
    Thank Post

New Stone PC wont wake up on lan

I dunno if im missing something. But we are replacing the computers in 2 of our IT Rooms.

The motherboards are Intel DH61WW's (i3's 4gb ram, Intel HD)

I Looked in the bios i cant see anything that stands out. I've checked device manager and it looks like everything is fine in there..

The computers i took out of the rooms woke up on lan alright.

we are using impero to wake the computers. (works fine for the dells and the old stone computers)

Any ideas? Im at a stuck point!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    I dunno if im missing something. But we are replacing the computers in 2 of our IT Rooms.

The motherboards are Intel DH61WW's (i3's 4gb ram, Intel HD)

I Looked in the bios i cant see anything that stands out. I've checked device manager and it looks like everything is fine in there..

The computers i took out of the rooms woke up on lan alright.

we are using impero to wake the computers. (works fine for the dells and the old stone computers)

Any ideas? Im at a stuck point!
    First thing to check is are using default windows 7 network card drivers if so then goto manufacturer website and install latest as when it comes to WOL that is number one factor.

Russell

Thank Post
    WOL is usualy a hardware function found in the ACPI or power management setting in the BIOS.

Rob

Thank Post
    Intel Card. Intel Drivers. Will see if there an update on intel website.

Intel Card.jpg

I checked the bios. Its all turned on.

Thank Post
    And the MAC address is correct for the magic packet?

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I think its called something like wake from S3 or wake from S4 from under the power menu.

There is a full PDF with bios info here.

Then boot windows. open up the nic and select config and choose the advanced tab. there is an option in there for wake on lan.

Thank Post
    Is this on all the machines?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I think its called something like wake from S3 or wake from S4 from under the power menu.

There is a full PDF with bios info here.

Then boot windows. open up the nic and select config and choose the advanced tab. there is an option in there for wake on lan.
    S5 State Soft powe off.

S1-4 Are Sleep states.

9. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

mac_shinobi (16th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    I thought WOL ( Wake On LAN ) was a combination of the above

1. Enabled and configured correctly in the bios ( assuming the NIC and bios support WOL ). Can possibly try a BIOS update on motherboard but depends on what fixes said update resolves.
    2. Latest NIC Drivers ( and NIC has to support WOL )
    3. Correct settings applied to said NIC in windows ( once drivers are up to date )

Thank Post
    Realy, the windows driver should have nothing to do with it. Other than perhaps enabling a function the bios can't see (sometimes the case).

You should be able to wake from all S1-5 states, but S5 is the power down state where the machine will boot a fresh instance of the operating system rather than restoring a previous session.

Rob

12. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Realy, the windows driver should have nothing to do with it. Other than perhaps enabling a function the bios can't see (sometimes the case).

Rob
    Like you said with regards to the driver - although I just update said driver if there is a later version of it available from the original manufacturers website so if it is an Intel NIC I go to the intel website and download the driver from Intel not the driver from stone / dell / hp etc as although it may work from stone / hp / dell or whoever at least if I get it from Intels website, I know intel made the card and hence the driver so it should be the correct and original driver intended for said card or device.

Thank Post
    how were the pcs turned off ive found that if they werent shut down properly (ie not just holdng down the power button/yanking out the cord) that wake on lan fails to unction (same sometimes goes if they have been off at the plug so say been moved after a propper boot up shutdown it works again)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You should be able to wake from all S1-5 states, but S5 is the power down state where the machine will boot a fresh instance of the operating system rather than restoring a previous session.

Rob
    Your are sort of right and not as well and is a common misconception even by me until I started working at Impero.

Drivers play a massive part in this (based on diagnosing WOL issues for past 12 months). The reason is that WOL on pure function is hardware however the invention on power management functions on a network card that interact at hardware level plus some driver updates also do firmware updates as well if running default drivers that come installed with OS you are going to run into issues with WOL this more case with Windows 7 than Win Xp.

If it is number one cause of WOL not working on calls to the Impero helpdesk.

Russell

16. Thanks to russdev from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    how were the pcs turned off ive found that if they werent shut down properly (ie not just holdng down the power button/yanking out the cord) that wake on lan fails to unction (same sometimes goes if they have been off at the plug so say been moved after a propper boot up shutdown it works again)
    I found something similar but I can't remember the details, had something to do with a difference between the soft power button and Start>Shutdown IIRC.. But it was 2 years ago that I was doing the testing and not done so since..

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I found something similar but I can't remember the details, had something to do with a difference between the soft power button and Start>Shutdown IIRC.. But it was 2 years ago that I was doing the testing and not done so since..

Rob
    Here is paste from part of a document created a while go to help support guys diagnose these issues as said number 5 is most common cause of WOL issues.

1. Make sure that WOL is enabled in the BIOS
    2. Check that ACPI enabled in the BIOS.

Please note that Microsoft® Windows® XP should be installed on systems with ACPI enabled in the BIOS. Systems which do not support ACPI or are set to APM in the BIOS may not work correctly. If your system is set to APM, you must change this to ACPI and rebuild the workstation - you cannot simply change the setting without re-installing Windows.

3. Make sure that the computer is powered in some way for example turned off but plugged into the mains supply.
    4. Check to see if the system is alive even when powered off by checking that both the network card and the hub/router link light are flashing.
    5. Check the drivers of network card are the latest manufactures network drivers and not the default ones from the operating system.

Check that within Windows that the network adapter has been configured to allow WOL.
    Check in Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - (select network adaptor) - Properties - Advanced.
    6. Some computers must be powered up before they will respond and they have to be correctly shutdown in a controlled manner. For example if you disconnect the mains supply, you must reconnect the mains supply and power up the system at least once.

Russell

19. Thanks to russdev from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast