+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Accidental Damage in Technical; Yet another thread in which I try to mine your grey matter for tender nuggets of knowledge on laptops. I ...

Thank Post

Accidental Damage

Yet another thread in which I try to mine your grey matter for tender nuggets of knowledge on laptops. I am trying to decide whether it is worth going for an accidental damage policy.

Scenario: we have 20 laptops, they will be used by students of ages 9 to 11 and carried up and down a flight of stairs. What is your estimate how many are likely to suffer minor\serious accidental damage within 3 years?

Do you tend to get accidental damage policies on laptops?

Thank Post
    I would say students should not be moving the equipment, if it has to be carried up stairs then the laptop trolly... should be moved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    From what @Jollity has said previously, the nature and age of the building is such that it would be impossible to avoid carrying the laptops between floors.

4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWicher View Post
    I would say students should not be moving the equipment, if it has to be carried up stairs then the laptop trolly... should be moved.
    I think you will struggle with pulling a laptop trolley up a flight of stairs
    @Jollity what are you trying to achieve from the policy?

6. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Depends on the cost. I know HP o a warranty that includes accidental damage and it's not much more than the standard warranty

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate
    Depends on the cost. I know HP o a warranty that includes accidental damage and it's not much more than the standard warranty
    What are the terms on that @Millgate? Are they sensible in a school scenario, or so tight you'd never manage to claim successfully?

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    What are the terms on that @Millgate? Are they sensible in a school scenario, or so tight you'd never manage to claim successfully?
    i have made claims in a school with the Dell accidental cover, never a problem. One needed to be done the day they arrived, (an accident with coffee in the office). Also someone on her got one when a member of staff ran over there own laptop.

11. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    I suppose it all depends on if you are expecting accidental damage or damage on purpose. I've seen laptops where the speakers have been gouged out with a pen, damage yes, accidental? Unlikely.

You'll have to read the terms and conditions very closely and I would recommend you ask the company involved what is and isn't included in the policy.

13. Thanks to Fazza from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I think you will struggle with pulling a laptop trolley up a flight of stairs
    @Jollity what are you trying to achieve from the policy?
    There are two classrooms in the building each on its own floor. There is no elevator or similar between floors, and as you say, we could not haul the trolley up and down stairs. We could not afford to have a suite of laptops for each floor.

The only way I can think of that does not involve one class of children carrying the laptops up and down stairs is to insist the teachers swap classroom every time they want to use laptops. I think that would massively reduce the usefulness of the laptops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazza View Post
    I suppose it all depends on if you are expecting accidental damage or damage on purpose. I've seen laptops where the speakers have been gouged out with a pen, damage yes, accidental? Unlikely.
    I think relative to the school population at large, the rate of malicious damage is likely to be low. The children are relatively well under control. We plan to assign the same laptop to a child in the class each lesson, so if damage occurs there are only a couple of children likely to have caused it. We might even be able to bill parents.

It is more drops and spills I am worried about, and I just do not have a handle on how likely these are.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    There's a simple solution to this I recommend in all schools. Pop down to your local supermarket and buy some re-usable bags (the ones made from material, not plastic) for about £1 each.

You tell the kids they can fit 2 or 3 per bag (depending on the size of notebook). This makes them easier to carry and they have one hand free for opening doors or for going up/down stairs. The amount of accidents are practically zero.

17. Thanks to Michael from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    HPs definition is:

"Accidental damage is defined as physical damage to a product caused by or resulting from a sudden and
    unforeseen incident, provided such damage occurs in the course of regular use. Covered perils include
    non‑intentional liquid spills in or on the unit, drops, falls, and electrical surge, as well as damaged or broken liquid
    crystal displays (LCDs) and broken parts. Additional details and exclusions pertaining to the accidental damage
    protection service feature are detailed in the ‘Service limitations’ section."

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's a simple solution to this I recommend in all schools. Pop down to your local supermarket and buy some re-usable bags (the ones made from material, not plastic) for about £1 each.

You tell the kids they can fit 2 or 3 per bag (depending on the size of notebook). This makes them easier to carry and they have one hand free for opening doors or for going up/down stairs. The amount of accidents are practically zero.
    Some of the staff here had had exactly the same idea, actually! I am delighted to hear it works in practice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    Scenario: we have 20 laptops, they will be used by students of ages 9 to 11 and carried up and down a flight of stairs. What is your estimate how many are likely to suffer minor\serious accidental damage within 3 years?
    Drops and cracked screens can be common especially if another pupil pushes them in the corridor (Experience: BYOD scheme with 11 to 12 year olds). If you can afford it I'd go for a hard case, as we haven't had any light plastic damage or screen cracks on our loan netbooks yet. I realise you have laptops, but thats been our experience.

21. Thanks to kernewek-sam from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    In my experience the cost of accidental damage policies often outweigh the cost of fixing the damage yourself over the life span of the machines. It does depend on the machines and availability of spare parts, and also you have to factor your time into the equation as well, but quite often they cost up to 50% of the machine value or more from what I've seen.

23. Thanks to maniac from:

Jollity (3rd July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast