+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Accidental Damage in Technical; We have 1:1 and use accidental damage coverage since students handle the computers all day, every day. Get it, it's ...

Thank Post
    We have 1:1 and use accidental damage coverage since students handle the computers all day, every day. Get it, it's well worth the cost.

2. Thanks to gpe5732 from:

Jollity (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    An alternate angle on the question. If we did not have an accidental damage policy, how much does it typically cost to repair damage from falls or spills, say a cracked screen for example? How much damage needs to occur before it is more economic to write off a laptop than have the manufacturer fix it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Also someone on her got one when a member of staff ran over there own laptop.
    What the. Please tell me that is a joke?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    There are two classrooms in the building each on its own floor. There is no elevator or similar between floors, and as you say, we could not haul the trolley up and down stairs. We could not afford to have a suite of laptops for each floor.

The only way I can think of that does not involve one class of children carrying the laptops up and down stairs is to insist the teachers swap classroom every time they want to use laptops. I think that would massively reduce the usefulness of the laptops.
    Not a quick fix, but I'd be advising the school that they need to fix the 'no lift' issue, as it currently more than likely breaches the disability discrimination act.

On a more useful note, I'd say that accidental damage cover isn't worth it. I'd buy a couple of extra laptops, and a set of spare parts instead. That way, for the same money, you have 100% guarantee that some bureaucrat isn't going to argue with you and deny a fix.

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

Jollity (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not a quick fix, but I'd be advising the school that they need to fix the 'no lift' issue, as it currently more than likely breaches the disability discrimination act.
    There are certain exceptions to this if the building is not suitable to have a lift installed - both the upstairs sections of our existing buildings are excempt, as there is really no practical way of installing a lift into the 1970's buildings we have at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    There are certain exceptions to this if the building is not suitable to have a lift installed - both the upstairs sections of our existing buildings are excempt, as there is really no practical way of installing a lift into the 1970's buildings we have at the moment.
    I am pretty sure we are among those exceptions. The building is listed I believe. I will mention it to our Health and Safety chap, but I would be very surprised if he had not thought of it.

Thank Post
    Medium sized secondary, we probably get around 5 laptops (mix of 12" & 15" models) dropped per term causing significant damage, out of 500 or so student laptops which are normally stored in trolleys. Repair costs vary, typically 50-150 a time. I have given up trying to advise staff about 'safe' handling of laptops in their classrooms, now I just send the bills to their department heads.

10. Thanks to broc from:

Jollity (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Medium sized secondary, we probably get around 5 laptops (mix of 12" & 15" models) dropped per term causing significant damage, out of 500 or so student laptops which are normally stored in trolleys. Repair costs vary, typically 50-150 a time.
    I love hard numbers. Many thanks. Though of course rates may differ - especially between primary and secondary.

Thank Post
    screens generaly under 50 from accupart, fitting 10-15 mins. Done about 40 of them in 18 months , 80% on staff laptops including most of the SLT!

Rob

13. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Jollity (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    We have a mass of systems out for other reasons ( missing keys, Damaged track pads, bent bezels, etc ) which we have been given the go-ahead to repair.

Not had accident cover for 6-7 years as it did not stack up.

Rob

15. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Jollity (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Our Laptops for Student scheme its part of the bundle that they get CompuCover insurance for them for the life of the scheme and then I just box it and shift it no messing around as we have lots of stairs and hard floors, so far been worth its weight in gold had 2 new units from them due to insurance writeoffs (the large dictionary V Samsung Netbook in the LRC was a good one, who says books don't win!) and down 2 flights of stairs and for good measure being stood on by accident!

17. Thanks to john from:

Jollity (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Also someone on her got one when a member of staff ran over there own laptop.
    I've also had a rather sheepish member of staff come with a laptop they run over. Thankfully we use Lenovo T, R or L Series laptops that have roll-cages inside them so the only thing that was damaged was the screen! Luckily they were away on business in a company car so the insurance for the car covered the cost of a new laptop.

Apparently there were two of them and whilst one was paying for the parking ticket at the machine as they were finished for the day, they placed their laptop on the wheel of the car. The driver of the car then thought she'd save some time so reversed a bit (they were parallel parked) and she felt a bit of a bump and assumed it was the kerb and as she thought it was the kerb she put it in to 1st and drove over it again as she got out of the parking space!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Our Laptops for Student scheme its part of the bundle that they get CompuCover insurance for them for the life of the scheme and then I just box it and shift it no messing around as we have lots of stairs and hard floors, so far been worth its weight in gold had 2 new units from them due to insurance writeoffs (the large dictionary V Samsung Netbook in the LRC was a good one, who says books don't win!) and down 2 flights of stairs and for good measure being stood on by accident!
    CompuCover do have a really up front straightforward quotation page. Unfortunately they are considerably more expensive than the manufacturer accidental damage policy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    CompuCover do have a really up front straightforward quotation page. Unfortunately they are considerably more expensive than the manufacturer accidental damage policy.
    We are an affiliate of the e-learning foundation (think that is the correct term) so we buy via them and get it at a reduced rate, going through a reseller of there's also helps I do believe for non-members

21. Thanks to john from:

Jollity (7th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12