+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Smartboard Performance & Reliability issues in Technical; I am sorry if this is the wrong board to post on but it is the hardware I am having ...
    Thank Post

Question Smartboard Performance & Reliability issues

I am sorry if this is the wrong board to post on but it is the hardware I am having trouble with.

Every interactive board we have in the school is from smart. We don't have one perfect board in the school they all have slight niggles and annoyances even the brand new one replaced under warrantee.

I wondered if there is anything I can do to improve them. I use the update tool to upgrade drivers and make sure I have the latest notebook I also upgraded the firmware on the boards with USB support, but I find the boards with serial connections will fail during a firmware update. I have checked where cables are running in relation to the boards mounting screws in the board all sorts.

The boards we have are either 580s or 680s with the usual problems alignment, pens not working on pickup even though sensors are clear, poor accuracy after alignment.

Apologies if there is a dedicated thread, I was unable to find it.

Notebook: 11.latest 10.8
    Cable length: max we use is 5M long same for serial.

Many Thanks
    Last edited by Anglisc; 2nd July 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm sorry to hear you are having problems, but I would suggest that you speak to your supplier or direct to the importer who is Steljes to try and get these issues resolved.

3. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Anglisc (2nd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Oaktech, I have been through them before a while ago and everything is out of warrantee now so I don't think they will be able to do much. Maybe I should drop them a call though its been a while.

Thank Post
    The secret of happiness is to make sure all the people who can help you solve a problem know the problem is still there untill it isn't there any more. If a problem can be shown to have begun before warranty has expired you still have a leg to stand on when suggesting that the supplier/manufacturer might like to fix it even though it is no longer under warranty. The more fuss you make (politely) the better your chances of a fix!

6. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Anglisc (2nd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Could you give us more information?

The OS you're using and the version of Smart Notebook you're using?

Also, are you connecting whiteboards by USB and are these distances over 5 metres? If they are, what's you wiring setup?

For example USB > Ethernet extender > Whiteboard would be OK. Powered USB extenders can be a little iffy and don't always work.

8. Thanks to Michael from:

Anglisc (2nd July 2012)

Thank Post
    I have edited my original post to now include what I am using apologies

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. I'm using Smart Notebook 10.8.364.0 at numerous sites on Windows 7 and it works fine - serial and USB connections.

Are the XP SP3 workstations you have all built from the same image, or imaged roughly at the same time? Are your classrooms using the same or different hardware to control the whiteboards?

Thank Post
    Well I think its the boards themselves rather than the computers, but yes they are all built from roughly the same image we are on a CC4 network its similar hardware too.

Thank Post
    To be honest I doubt it's the boards. You have a range of different whiteboards - 5xx and 6xx series, USB and serial, yet none of them perform reliably. I run Smart Notebook in a vanilla setup and do not experience significant problems.

I seem to re-call reading on these very forums that there were or are still issues between RM CC4 and Smart Notebook 10.8 and possibly 11, although it's hard to tell as it's very new.

An easy test is to try it with a vanilla install with XP SP3, or even better 7 SP1 and see if the problems re-occur.

RM CC3 and CC4, as good as they are at controlling networks, RM have a habbit of messing with the registry and this is one example of why you need separate install files to run correctly, which would otherwise run correctly in a vanilla setup.

13. Thanks to Michael from:

Anglisc (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    @Anglisc

Where to start
    I've gave up long ago with smartboards actually working properly (esp the 5xx series ones - although I have 3 6xx boards that are also NVG)

They either work well/OK or not ok (won't hiold calibration for more than 10 milliseconds even on the 1000point setting!)

There are seemingly 2 sorts of people in the world - the ones where the boards always work great everytime - and the rest of us

Mr Smart has NEVER EVER admitted to any product defects and has proudly proclaimed- "Just contact your supplier" to resolve any issues.

Since this generally involves us having to dismount/package up a 6ft device and send it away then it generally isn't a realistic option.

I've don't rant on anymore about the UK firm that has the support contract on medical advice

But come the revolution there is NO-ONE before them in the line!
    Si

PS I did once follow someones advice the day before an Ofsted and used sticky parcel tape to pull the membrane off the back of the board and it certainly had a good placebo effect on the teacher but I'm not sure it actually did anything in reality but YMMV.

15. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Anglisc (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    @SimpleSi - Do you not think the fact that Anglisc has a variety of whiteboard models, some 5 years+ and others brand new that the common fault is somewhere else?

Take a look here - RM CC4 and Smart Notebook.

Thank Post
    Thank you very much for adding more to the discussion. I seem to be sharing the same experience as Si here.

Michall thanks for the tips and the links makes for interesting reading I will try this out on machines where the boards are the worst. It has also highlighted an issue to expect when migrating to the next ver of windows.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread