+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, NAS Recomendations in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Where are you getting prices like that? Or do you mean £1,200 + the cost of the disks? The quotes I have had are over £2k
    Sorry, I've screwed up. I forgot I had a price with disks and a price without disks and gave you the without disks price - apologies! £1,250 without disks, £1,980 with disks.

Sorry about that,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I would just get a Large Chassis Server and custom build one. I made a 32TB machine for 4.5k

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I would just get a Large Chassis Server and custom build one. I made a 32TB machine for 4.5k
    Must admit we tried that route. SuperMicro chassis, small Intel board, LSI RAID card, etc. The LSI card didn't work as advertised (no option to select RAID 5 or 6, even though they were listed as supported in the product spec) and LSI support were a nightmare to deal with. In the end they agreed to accept an RMA on the card but wouldn't replace it with a working model, time was running out to get the project working, so we just went the QNAP route. They're easy to set up, fairly reliable, and you get a product warranty rather than an individual component warranty which can save some hassle.

If anyone wants the SuperMicro chassis it's a SUPERMICRO 2U REDUNDANT PSU 720W ENCLOSURE 8 BAYS CSE-825TQ-R720LPB and I'd gladly sell it cheap.

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I got an HBA card and used a linux Software raid in raid 5 with two volumes in a LVM. It was based on the 4U 36 bay Supermicro Chassis.

This is what i got

Western Digital REII-GP 2TB 3.5 SATA Internal Hard Drive x 16
    RAID CARD - Intel RAID Controller SASUC8I HBA (for server/board below)
    INTEL Quad Core Xeon E5520 2.26GHz LGA1366
    Super Micro SuperChassis 847E1-R1400LPB (huge for future expansion)
    Super Micro X8DTH-IF
    Supermicro 8GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module
    2 x 250gb HDD's for OS.

5. Thanks to glennda from:

Duke (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Sorry, I've screwed up. I forgot I had a price with disks and a price without disks and gave you the without disks price - apologies! £1,250 without disks, £1,980 with disks.

Sorry about that,
    Chris
    Aha, thanks. My quotes arn't too bad then!

Thank Post
    Also, @Duke how do you find performance? It worries me it only has an Atom CPU. I'm only going to be using it for backups and other long term storage mind.
    But I'm just wondering whether I should get a quote for an 809 instead which has a Core 2 Duo, it just seems like its quite old now though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Also, @Duke how do you find performance? It worries me it only has an Atom CPU. I'm only going to be using it for backups and other long term storage mind.
    But I'm just wondering whether I should get a quote for an 809 instead which has a Core 2 Duo, it just seems like its quite old now though
    What's the price like on the 879U-RP? Last time I spoke to QNAP (well, the UK distributor) they implied that the 879 was the replacement for the 859, and performance was significantly improved due to the i3 on it.

I wouldn't say performance on mine is bad, but it's not great. I was originally backing up to it over CIFS and it kept dropping out, SMB errors, etc. I spoke to support and they said do any heavy work over iSCSI, which I'm now doing and it's been okay. Network performance has never been brilliant, but I'm not sure if that's the QNAP, the network, or the device on the other end. Having said that, I'm currently replicating between two QNAPs over what should be a 1Gb link and I'm getting 42Mbps which is pathetic.

Like I said, performance isn't great, but I don't know of anything much better in the price range. A Server 2012 box with SMB3.0 clients (i.e. Windows 8) could probably beat it at the same price.

Chris

Thank Post
    Urgh, replication is definitely CPU-limited. Bad times:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys i purchased the qnap 16TB as suggested,just awaiting its delivery.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    Thanks guys i purchased the qnap 16TB as suggested,just awaiting its delivery.
    If you dont mind me asking - How much did you end up paying for the fully loaded unit?

Thank Post
    how does everyone feel about this thing...

BT Business Direct - Synology Synology RS812+ 16TB 1u Rack NAS (RS812+/16TB)

if we collectively like it, it's a good deal, if not i'll be buying the same Qnap as @LukeC !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Synology makes Baby Jesus cry...
    Our luxembourg office has a 2bay one (bought without our knowledge I'd like to add), which regularly breaks raid. or just decides their no more room. or starts overwriting existing partitions.

...I'm not a fan.

14. Thanks to Domino from:

Oaktech (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    If you dont mind me asking - How much did you end up paying for the fully loaded unit?
    Also, which model? 3 have been talked about in this thread

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    What's the price like on the 879U-RP? Last time I spoke to QNAP (well, the UK distributor) they implied that the 879 was the replacement for the 859, and performance was significantly improved due to the i3 on it.

I wouldn't say performance on mine is bad, but it's not great. I was originally backing up to it over CIFS and it kept dropping out, SMB errors, etc. I spoke to support and they said do any heavy work over iSCSI, which I'm now doing and it's been okay. Network performance has never been brilliant, but I'm not sure if that's the QNAP, the network, or the device on the other end. Having said that, I'm currently replicating between two QNAPs over what should be a 1Gb link and I'm getting 42Mbps which is pathetic.

Like I said, performance isn't great, but I don't know of anything much better in the price range. A Server 2012 box with SMB3.0 clients (i.e. Windows 8) could probably beat it at the same price.

Chris
    Thanks for the info. The quote I have for the 879 is 'only' £500 more than the 859 so I'm thinking that could be a better option (and possible allow me a bit more flexibility as to what I do with it)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    An 859 with 8x 2TB should be around the £2,000 mark. Prices might have gone up a bit still due to the Thailand flooding.

Thanks for the info. The quote I have for the 879 is 'only' £500 more than the 859 so I'm thinking that could be a better option (and possible allow me a bit more flexibility as to what I do with it)
    That replication I'm doing still hasn't finished - I'd say go to the 879 if you can afford it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast