+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Intel FXX730WPSU wanted quickly in Technical; I am desperately in need to replace a server's power supply as the server is the school's only one. The ...

Thank Post

Intel FXX730WPSU wanted quickly

I am desperately in need to replace a server's power supply as the server is the school's only one. The PSU died yesterday and being a Saturday, it was impossible to contact my usual suppliers. I am going to try tomorrow morning but was wondering if any of you will be able to direct me to supplier that will have this item? The power supply has an Intel part number FXX730WPSU and MM# 856596. It is made by Delta Electronis and has part number NPS-730AB A. The server chassis is an Intel SC5300 LX.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it helps your hunt, this is the same as the generation-from-last RM server (different faceplate, internals and PSU's identical)

3. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

csl6 (24th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks matey,

I will give them a try

Thank Post
    No luck with trying to source this PSU, I did try a large number of suppliers who were helpful but they came back with nowt. Stone had one but it was not a sale item but a spare for an under warranty customer and I couldn't pursuade them to let go of it. So close!

Was about to give up, but got chatting to an electrician and he told me to use a hair dryer and heat the capacitors up for about 5 mins on with it plugged in. I laughed and said I might as well give it a go. Got a hairdryer and near enough five minutes of heating the PSU up, the PSU lights up! Server is now up and running!

I have had to use the hair dryer trick a couple times more when I moved the server and had to detach it from the UPS, but I am phasing this server out with a replacement as I reckon the hair dryer trick will eventually stop working.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you're happy enough blowing hot air into an open power supply with it turned on....

**WARNING - CHANCE OF DEATH** before any muppet moans at me.

Drain as much power as you can from the PSU (keep power button held in on computer with psu not plugged into mains
    Solder as many of the joints as you can see on the underside, being very careful if there's any close unconnected joints
    Or if your DT department has one, pop it in a reflow oven. I wouldn't try the conventional oven trick on a power supply.

If the hairdryer thing works it's just a dry joint. Possible the caps are nackered but that will be easy to see (bulging lids/leaking bottoms) - if so just replace with same type and rating.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread