+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, What do you use your Axel M80s for? in Technical; Hi all, I've got one of the @ Axel M80s on trial at the moment with a view to do ...
    Thank Post

What do you use your Axel M80s for?

Hi all,

I've got one of the @Axel M80s on trial at the moment with a view to do a little review of its use with VDI-in-a-Box and I was wondering how everyone here is using their M80s?

By that I mean-
    Do you use them with RDP/ICA?
    Do you use them as student facing kit and so what applications do you run on your backend servers?
    How do you find the performance on media intensive sites?
    and anything else you would like to share

I'm keen to do a positive review as the device is very small, comes with a VESA mount and has a near perfect price however I want to find the perfect usage scenario to test it in to make it a fair review.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Hi all,

I've got one of the @Axel M80s on trial at the moment with a view to do a little review of its use with VDI-in-a-Box and I was wondering how everyone here is using their M80s?

By that I mean-
    Do you use them with RDP/ICA?
    Do you use them as student facing kit and so what applications do you run on your backend servers?
    How do you find the performance on media intensive sites?
    and anything else you would like to share

I'm keen to do a positive review as the device is very small, comes with a VESA mount and has a near perfect price however I want to find the perfect usage scenario to test it in to make it a fair review.

Thanks!
    I been trying some M80Fs with Xen Desktop - I'm also going to try them with VDI in a Box. I'm using ICA to deliver a Windows 7 desktop to the M80. They look good and my next step will probably be to set up a trial in School with them and see how students and staff rate them. Only thing I noticed that when logging on the controller boots a VM to service the desktop and this can take a little time. This may be down to how I have Xen desktop setup using a random pool - I need to investigate this further. At the end of the day if your users are happy using them with your all your school's curriculum software then that's the best endorsement you can get.

I like the fact that they generate no noise - I'm aiming for a quiet ICT suite not an equipment room. In these days of change the ability to support a wide range of end devices is also a big plus as you are not tied in to a specific platform.

Rob
    Last edited by ReBoot; 24th June 2012 at 12:51 PM.

3. Thanks to ReBoot from:

jamesfed (25th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReBoot View Post
    I been trying some M80Fs with Xen Desktop - I'm also going to try them with VDI in a Box. They look good and my next step will probably be to set up a trial in School with them and see how students and staff rate them. Only thing I noticed that when logging on the controller boots a VM to service the desttop and this can take a little time. This may be down to how I have Xen desktop setup using a random pool - I need to investigate this further. At the end of the day if your users are happy using them with your all your school's curriculum software then that's the best endorsement you can get.

I like the fact that they generate no noise - I'm aiming for a quiet ICT suite not an equipment room. In these days of change the ability to support a wide range of end devices is also a big plus as you are not tied in to a specific platform.

Rob
    Do you have your XenDesktop setup to pre provision desktops? (ie have them ready and spun up before anyone goes to login)
    Sounds good otherwise, low/0 noise is a common thing of all thin clients I'm really looking for something in a usage case that makes the M80s special though.

Thank Post
    We have 20 connecting to a Windows 2008R2 RDS farm via RDP. They connect straight to the Windows dekstop ready for sign on. Mainly used by pupils, the backend mainly runs Office and Internet access

6. Thanks to joe90bass from:

jamesfed (25th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread