+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Wireless Dropping on Samsung Tablet in Technical; Got an odd one on my Samsung Galaxy Tab (personal, not work). It will connect to the wifi quite happily, ...
    Thank Post

Wireless Dropping on Samsung Tablet

Got an odd one on my Samsung Galaxy Tab (personal, not work). It will connect to the wifi quite happily, but after a few minutes it seems to drop the connection; it says it is still connected, but no pages load. If I turn the tablet's wifi off and back on again, it will connect for another few minutes. Our phones are unaffected as is my laptop, and wired devices also work, so I don't think the router is at fault.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Thank Post
    It's not trying to do an over the air update is it ?
    Just a wild stab in the dark, i know ICS was supposed to be coming to the Tab.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    It's not trying to do an over the air update is it ?
    Just a wild stab in the dark, i know ICS was supposed to be coming to the Tab.
    Pah! It seems to have been 'coming' forever... one day my tablet will get it, I'm (almost) sure.

Mine doesn't seem to like changing channel when I move around our buildings. Seems to want to stay on the same channel it originally connected on, even if there is a stronger AP right next to it. Could that have anything to do with your issue?

4. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

enjay (30th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Mine doesn't seem to like changing channel when I move around our buildings. Seems to want to stay on the same channel it originally connected on, even if there is a stronger AP right next to it. Could that have anything to do with your issue?
    Possibly... I did notice that it liked to stay on the same AP as I moved around the house (my phone was the same when I put ICS on it, but that appears to have been fixed and it now connects to the strongest signal), but this is happening on the tablet even when I don't move. Is it possible it is trying to connect to AP1 but using the frequency for AP2? That doesn't explain why it works for a bit and drops off though, does it?

Thank Post
    I think you were right about channels - I have put both access points on the same channel and the tablet seems happy. Odd.

Thank Post
    If the AP will let you, try turning the power down to a minimum and see if it will channel hop.
    Roaming between AP's is a client initiated process, if the tab is sensitive enough it will hang on to the association of AP "A" even if the link quality is no longer optimal.
    The tab will rather stay connected to the weakest AP and keep retrying instead of releasing and reconnecting to a stronger one.
    Although 802.11r FBSS has been around since 2008 it's implementation is biased towards enterprise systems and VoiP wifi devices such as wifi phones, consumer devices still tend to work on the basis of "If I'm associated and can still hear my BSSID stay connected"

Which is why blanket channel systems claim to be better suited for wifi that requires roaming solutions and by switching both of your AP's to the same channel you have demonstrated that this is indeed the case.
    However clearly configuring all of your cell based APs to the same channel is not the solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    not sure if this is applicable but are there any updates for either the tablet or wi-fi ap as far as firmware or the likes ? Also if you do a reset on the network settings or if you can backup all data and do a full factory reset and does it still do the same ( on the tablet that is ). AP must be fine if other devices connect to it and stay connected ok

Thank Post
    This has reared its head again.

Basically, when I turn my tablet on at home, it connects to the WiFi for about 30 seconds, and then drops off. It says the connection is still active, but nothing works. If I turn the wireless off and back on, it connects for a moment and then stops again.

Previously, I seemed to have sorted this by ensuring that it always connected to the same AP, as it didn't like swapping between the two (I found similar on my phone for a while, too), however I cannot get it to hold a connection on either AP now.

The WiFi seems good, because phones, laptops and Kindles all work; the wireless on the Tablet also seems okay as I currently have the tablet in work with me and it is connected to our WiFi just fine.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thank Post
    Can I bump this one, as I'm still having the problem...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Probably not an option, but there's a ROM available on the MoDaCo forums (created by Paul O'Brien) which reportedly fixes the WiFi disconnect issue on the Galaxy Tab.

www.modaco.com/topic/331479-04feb-fr1-modaco-custom-rom-for-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-with-online-kitchen/#entry1588995

The download link is in the first post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    If the connection is dropping when the WiFi goes into power saving mode you could try an app which prevents it from doing this. e.g. WiFi High Performance Widget
    Last edited by Arthur; 12th February 2013 at 08:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread