+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, New website - Showcase your server in Technical; For some time now Iíve been running my personal website (myworldofit.net) and another one before it however I was thinking ...
    Thank Post

New website - Showcase your server

For some time now Iíve been running my personal website (myworldofit.net) and another one before it however I was thinking it would be a nice idea to create a new website that would allow users to Ďshowcase their serversí.

By showcase I mean-
    +List of hardware specifications
    +Approximate cost/year of purchase (I understand not everyone would want to fill this out)
    +Photos/YouTube videos
    +Describe what the server does (SQL/Virtual Host/VDI/Exchange)

Iíve already registered the domain name showcaseyourserver.net and am now looking to move the project forwards.
    The master plan is for the entire website to be based around user generated content, Iíve been looking into hosting this on WordPress (as I always do) using the Gravity Forms plugin which allows people to complete a form and then for it to appear on the site (so less work for me!).
    So what are the views of the Edugeeks out there and would anyone be interested in showcasing their servers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Their could be a security issue, you may want to allow accounts to be annonomys so that even a site compromise would not reveil a handy shopping list of shiney new hardware for the unscrupulous shopper.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Their could be a security issue, you may want to allow accounts to be annonomys so that even a site compromise would not reveil a handy shopping list of shiney new hardware for the unscrupulous shopper.
    I'm thinking of not asking for any personaly identifiable data at all so no names/email addys/numbers/company names

Thank Post
    Slowely getting there with the site, have a work in progress up and on the web - showcase your server

Still lots more features to add though

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks good, what's the case on that 8TB one, case brand/type may make another good variable to record too.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

jamesfed (22nd June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Looks good, what's the case on that 8TB one, case brand/type may make another good variable to record too.
    After a little digging we found out its a Chenbro case - will have to see if the logic in the forms will let me do that

8. Thanks to jamesfed from:

SYNACK (22nd June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    After a little digging we found out its a Chenbro case - will have to see if the logic in the forms will let me do that
    Update - the logic in the forms does If you select custom build it will ask for the case on the specs form.

Nice thinking @SYNACK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    I’ve been looking into hosting this on WordPress (as I always do) using the Gravity Forms plugin which allows people to complete a form and then for it to appear on the site (so less work for me!).
    So what are the views of the Edugeeks out there and would anyone be interested in showcasing their servers?
    Hi James,

I'm afraid I'm not really interested in other peoples servers. I am interested in your wordpress forms though. Can I ask why you use the paid-for gravity forms over the free wordpress form plugins? Are there features missing in the free versions or is there some other sublety? Which plugins have you discounted?

Thanks,

Mat

Thank Post
    Could this be expanded to 'show off your rack', or does that sound too... suggestive?

Intrigued by this idea though, could be fun.

Only possible concern still lies with security - the site itself will be anonymous, but I'm sure we'll all be bragging about our kits on here and it's probably possible to tie the photos to a location by our posts. No way around that though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Hi James,

I'm afraid I'm not really interested in other peoples servers. I am interested in your wordpress forms though. Can I ask why you use the paid-for gravity forms over the free wordpress form plugins? Are there features missing in the free versions or is there some other sublety? Which plugins have you discounted?

Thanks,

Mat
    Hi Matt,

Gravity Forms just seemed to work in every way I wanted to, the (little bit) of ad money I get from myworldofit.net has paied for it anyways

The key thing I was after was the ablity to take a form and turn it right into a post with very little effort.

James

13. Thanks to jamesfed from:

mats (22nd June 2012)

Thank Post
    I like the idea of 'show us yer rack'. Saves me taking out the server for a photo shoot if I can just do the whole rack.

Plus it's a cool name, make a lot of money with ads from people looking for something else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Could this be expanded to 'show off your rack', or does that sound too... suggestive?

Intrigued by this idea though, could be fun.

Only possible concern still lies with security - the site itself will be anonymous, but I'm sure we'll all be bragging about our kits on here and it's probably possible to tie the photos to a location by our posts. No way around that though!
    lol someone had to mention it

Just wait until I put together showcaseyourvdi.net Crowd sourced data at its best!

It certainly is a concern...not a whole lot that I can do although I have tried to make the form as free/open as possible so people aren’t forced to put in photos/prices/who they are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I like the idea of 'show us yer rack'. Saves me taking out the server for a photo shoot if I can just do the whole rack.

Plus it's a cool name, make a lot of money with ads from people looking for something else.
    Shuuush don't give away my secret world domination plan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread