+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
Hardware Thread, Pacemaker causing problems? in Technical; Given that pacemaker signals (control/reprogramming) are supposed to be extremely short range - there was a big article a while ...
  1. #16


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,537
    Thank Post
    271
    Thanked 752 Times in 590 Posts
    Rep Power
    218
    Given that pacemaker signals (control/reprogramming) are supposed to be extremely short range - there was a big article a while ago about how insecure the comms protocols were - and the human body is a big fleshy bag of water, I'd have a hard time imagining the signals would be strong enough to affect the PC unless they were snuggling it.

  2. #17

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,073
    Thank Post
    1,682
    Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Rep Power
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    <snip> and the human body is a big fleshy bag of water<snip>
    Water is an excellent conductor...

    ... fingers touch keyboard, knee touches PC case

    ....bang! ?

  3. #18


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,537
    Thank Post
    271
    Thanked 752 Times in 590 Posts
    Rep Power
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Water is an excellent conductor...

    ... fingers touch keyboard, knee touches PC case

    ....bang! ?
    For electricity, yes. But pacemakers (or at least certain models) are programmed wirelessly and it was the interference from that I was thinking of.

  4. #19

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,073
    Thank Post
    1,682
    Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Rep Power
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    For electricity, yes. But pacemakers (or at least certain models) are programmed wirelessly and it was the interference from that I was thinking of.
    Pacemakers are still electrically powered @pete

    Like laptops, their wifi still doesn't work without electricity!

  5. #20

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,714
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    wasn't there a thread on here somewhere about a student who crashed any computer they sat at?

    I'll see if i can find it!

  6. #21

    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    1,757
    Thank Post
    317
    Thanked 500 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    228
    There is a condition (that I can't remember the name of) where the electromagnetic field is abnormal and disrupts electrical equipment. There is anecdotal evidence that people that grew up near or under Power lines and pylons are more susceptible to it, but there are loads of resources about it (if I could remember the name I'd be able to find them). It can be as simple and turning off lights when they enter a room to full on wiping out a fuse board on a regular basis. It's driving me crazy because I was really interested in it at school (I did it as a project in Science I think) but can't remember the proper name. It's an acronym of some sort.

  7. #22

    PICNIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Zooniverse
    Posts
    286
    Thank Post
    179
    Thanked 84 Times in 45 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    There is a condition (that I can't remember the name of) where the electromagnetic field is abnormal and disrupts electrical equipment. There is anecdotal evidence that people that grew up near or under Power lines and pylons are more susceptible to it, but there are loads of resources about it (if I could remember the name I'd be able to find them). It can be as simple and turning off lights when they enter a room to full on wiping out a fuse board on a regular basis. It's driving me crazy because I was really interested in it at school (I did it as a project in Science I think) but can't remember the proper name. It's an acronym of some sort.
    Is the acronym TEACHER? make up your own words...

  8. Thanks to PICNIC from:

    Davit2005 (19th June 2012)

  9. #23
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,400
    Thank Post
    353
    Thanked 254 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Wrap the kid up in tin foil.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. System Repair causing problems
    By Tricks in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th July 2011, 02:48 PM
  2. [CSS] Site causing problems?
    By theeldergeek in forum Web Development
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd April 2010, 10:46 PM
  3. user6 and right causing problems
    By tea_and_toast in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th December 2008, 02:41 PM
  4. Wrong time causing online login problem
    By SimpleSi in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th December 2007, 08:33 PM
  5. Explaining the cause of problems to users
    By pete in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 7th November 2006, 10:16 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •