+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Wireless Solution - Primary School in Technical; Do the rooms already have network points? Power sockets? If not then probably best to go down route of POE....

Thank Post
    Do the rooms already have network points? Power sockets? If not then probably best to go down route of POE.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris4 View Post
    Which ever solution is used, it has to be easy to manage. The school doesn't have a full-time paid technician, I'm a placement student and don't have much experience in this area - come September the school will have a new technician of whom will probably have less experience than myself and he'll be the one managing this. I'll have a look to see if I can find a local supplier/installer of Ubiquiti. I've contacted @CPLTD for a Ruckus quote, thanks.
    I agree totally. Both the Ruckus installs I have done in primary sit and run day in day out with no need for anyone to touch them. It looks like Ubiquiti is similar, however if the controller packs up on the ubiquiti network, the APs carry on regardless (assuming you're not using a captive portal).

Download the ubiquiti controller software from their website. Load it up an have a play - you don't need any access points. If you do just note... it seems to run only on java v6 not 7 and if you run it on a 64bit machine, you need both java 6 32 & 64 bits installed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I have Ruckus in one school and Meru in the other - I'm a part-time tech in both and have never had any issues - the systems dont need managing, they just work..

Thank Post
    I've got Ruckus in my main primary, 3 buildings, main building on three floors (a big primary school!). Haven't had any problems at all with Ruckus since the day it was installed. Coverage really good even in places you wouldn't expect to get coverage at all.
    Am in leicestershire if you want to pop round for a look drop me a pm.

5. Thanks to Smee from:

Chris4 (14th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi All,

I'm in the early stages of looking at improving network coverage in one of our buildings and having a read of previous posts, Ruckus looks interesting.

The building in question is a 1950's solid concrete two story with 4 classrooms, we have 25 laptops over there predominantly used in one classroom with a Netgear AP in there and one in a neighbouring classroom and wireless performance is diabolical!

Does anyone with previous Ruckus experience have any idea of rough costings for such an install or any recommendations?

I'm also in Leicestershire and in the process of contacting a local company to see if we can trial a Ruckus AP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I have Ruckus in one school and Meru in the other - I'm a part-time tech in both and have never had any issues - the systems dont need managing, they just work..
    Sounds great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    I agree totally. Both the Ruckus installs I have done in primary sit and run day in day out with no need for anyone to touch them. It looks like Ubiquiti is similar, however if the controller packs up on the ubiquiti network, the APs carry on regardless (assuming you're not using a captive portal).

Download the ubiquiti controller software from their website. Load it up an have a play - you don't need any access points. If you do just note... it seems to run only on java v6 not 7 and if you run it on a 64bit machine, you need both java 6 32 & 64 bits installed.
    Ok thanks, I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    I've got Ruckus in my main primary, 3 buildings, main building on three floors (a big primary school!). Haven't had any problems at all with Ruckus since the day it was installed. Coverage really good even in places you wouldn't expect to get coverage at all.
    Am in leicestershire if you want to pop round for a look drop me a pm.
    PM coming your way, thanks!

Thank Post
    Ruckus if you want the extra toys and long, proven track record or Unifi if you need the most stuff for the least budget (although not been around as long)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    PM sent

Thank Post
    We use Aruba kit and cannot fault it, especially as we can turn our AP's to mini access points and connect in from home if need be as long as there is internet.

Thank Post
    especially as we can turn our AP's to mini access points and connect in from home if need be as long as there is internet.
    Could you explain this a bit more please?

Si

Thank Post
    They turn into what they call RAP's, if you Google aruba rap it will show you the ones mainly for the job but you can use the AP's you use for the main wireless with a power adapter and they do the same, its great for us as we can install them where ever there is internet and it create a VPN back and we have a wireless network like we were in the office.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    24 AP's seems like a lot - it's also going to be very unnecessary to have one AP per classroom - that's something you'd expect from adhoc / unmanaged wireless systems. Unless you're a HUGE primary school then I'd estimate (without even knowing where you are, school size etc) you could probably half that number and the relevant costs.

Personally, I like Ruckus - I've seen a (bad, installer not supplier) install at one of my primaries last week and it works wonders, range is good, seems reliable and price was far below the "big" players.

Thank Post
    @synethesia
    Could you let us know the cost of the install/number of APs used/number pupils in the school please?

Si

Thank Post
    I have an Aerohive system which was great during our rebuild as the mesh just joined itself back together wheneever the wired connection was hacked up by a builder (often). We had two site surveys - one from Aerohive and then a second from AIT who were the installers who then did third final survey after the install to make sure it was all working. They then came back after the build to help me reconfigure the network for our new buildings so have to say I am very pleased. My second choice would have been Ruckus but D-Link have now a managed offering which is likely to be cheap. Note than many managed systems (including Aerohive) have ongoing licence costs!

Thank Post
    @Chris4 My personal experience has shown that the Ruckus devices end up costing less than most of the competitors because the components cost less and they require less AP’s to get similar or better coverage.

If you PM me I can give you some ideas on how to find good pricing on the Ruckus equipment. I can also give you some suggestions based on our educational experience.

Good luck

17. Thanks to PhillUS from:

Chris4 (21st June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast