+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, RM Ascend 2020B general information in Technical; Dear all: I was wondering if anyone could help me with some basic questions I have relating to this range ...

Thank Post

RM Ascend 2020B general information

Dear all:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some basic questions I have relating to this range of machines.

I am from an education background and teach in a secondary school. Having seen the above machines in a computer lab (although not at my current school unfortunately) I thought that if I purchased one cheaply off ebay and upgraded it for my step daughter it would make an ideal machine due to its small form factor.

That said, there does not seem to be much information on them and what there is does appear to be a bit off-putting. I am by no means a nube when it comes to building PCs - I am not a technician and have no qualifications to attest to my assertions. However, I have built several machines of varying specs, repaired my broken xbox 360 several times etc.

However, it would appear that at least one person (not on this forum) has had difficulty opening these machines to access the computer side of the system - is it just a case of using whichever bit - I imagine a T9 or 10 to open the case at the back thus exposing the mainboard or is it a bit more difficult than that.

I clearly did not inspect the photographs before purchase so could someone tell me what the large void is for at the bottom back of the case - it looks like a space for a HD but no connections seem evident. Or is it as I fear just where the case is broken?

Any help would be gratefully received. If you haven't worked it out already, I do not have the item in my possession but would like to be forewarned so that I know what to expect - I have a limited amount of time in the evening to work on this so do not want to hamper myself by not having the right things to hand.

Also if anyone could tell me/send a link to a RAM chip that will work with this system it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Thank Post
    Correct, you just need to remove the 4 screws from the back cover with a security hex bit (mine is marked CR-V3), I bought a set of pieces from CPC (D00391 - DURATOOL - 33 PIECE SECURITY BIT SET | CPC). Once the back cover is removed you have access to all of the internal components.

The large 'void' at the bottom is where all the cables (keyboard, mouse, network, power) go into the computer and is used just to tidy them up and secure them in place. This cover can be removed with the same security hex bits as earlier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham1982 View Post
    Dear all:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some basic questions I have relating to this range of machines.

I am from an education background and teach in a secondary school. Having seen the above machines in a computer lab (although not at my current school unfortunately) I thought that if I purchased one cheaply off ebay and upgraded it for my step daughter it would make an ideal machine due to its small form factor.

That said, there does not seem to be much information on them and what there is does appear to be a bit off-putting. I am by no means a nube when it comes to building PCs - I am not a technician and have no qualifications to attest to my assertions. However, I have built several machines of varying specs, repaired my broken xbox 360 several times etc.

However, it would appear that at least one person (not on this forum) has had difficulty opening these machines to access the computer side of the system - is it just a case of using whichever bit - I imagine a T9 or 10 to open the case at the back thus exposing the mainboard or is it a bit more difficult than that.

I clearly did not inspect the photographs before purchase so could someone tell me what the large void is for at the bottom back of the case - it looks like a space for a HD but no connections seem evident. Or is it as I fear just where the case is broken?

Any help would be gratefully received. If you haven't worked it out already, I do not have the item in my possession but would like to be forewarned so that I know what to expect - I have a limited amount of time in the evening to work on this so do not want to hamper myself by not having the right things to hand.

Also if anyone could tell me/send a link to a RAM chip that will work with this system it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Graham
    Many thanks for your help on this - I don't think I have replied properly but your response was just what I needed - any light on the RAM issue anyone?

Thanks

Graham

ijk

Thank Post
    If it has an RM serial number - WOsomething - you should be able to find everything you need online at rm.com/support

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,763 Posts

Thank Post

OK again many thanks that is very helpful.

Upon arrival I found that the computer did not have a CD or floppy drive fitted (the latter obviously is not that important). I assumed (through my knowledge of previous PC builds) that I would be able to easily slot both of these devices into the case. However assumption is the mother of all ***** as proven in this example.

It would appear that the blanking plate and thus bay for these devices sits behind the metal wall that the motherboard sits on and that this is the easiest way in as the other side of the case is where the monitor is attached. Before I start randomly taking screws out, is this the way in or can you take the plastic fascia off the side of the computer and gain access that way? If not, does the board need to be unmounted from the metal wall or can a few screws be removed lifting both wall and MB off in one?

Many thanks

Graham

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Careful with RAM on those, they are annoyingly picky - plenty of DDR2 800 won't work (can't remember what configuration did) so try and stick to 533 or 667 max

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Careful with RAM on those, they are annoyingly picky - plenty of DDR2 800 won't work (can't remember what configuration did) so try and stick to 533 or 667 max
    Thanks, I put a Gig of kingston DDR2 Ram in there from my main machine as my machine runs 32 bit xp and so wouldn't address all of it anyway and this works - I am not going to bother putting another Gig in as I only want it to run XP and play films etc - I tried it with a Linux distro but I never have much luck with Linux and alas it wouldn't work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread