+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Best Desktop PC you can recommend in Technical; Hi all, I am looking to replace two or three ICT suites soon and I am looking for workstations which ...
    Thank Post

Best Desktop PC you can recommend

Hi all,

I am looking to replace two or three ICT suites soon and I am looking for workstations which offer good performance, build quality but most of all take up the least ammount of space. Our ICT suites must have been designed for laptop use as the desks and workbenches are quite small so these don't allow the students the flexibility they should as they can't get their books out in the same space unless there isn't anyone sitting on the computer next to them.

I like the look of the slimline RM Ecoquiet which can be bolted down to the classroom desk or the HP Pro All-In-One 3420.

All suggestions welcome!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    All suggestions welcome!
    Any price bracket?

Steve

Thank Post
    Ah yes, lets say no more than £500 per workstation. I'm more interested in reliability and ergonomity at this stage as I might get more money if I can justify less technical time spent fixing the PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any new machine orders we make are the Dell Optiplex 790 USSF. We have about 200 in action and another order of about 60. In the year from the original 200 the only issue we have had is a hard drive failure in 1. They are really compact as well, the machine sits on the monitor stand.

5. Thanks to FN-GM from:

speckytecky (10th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Any new machine orders we make are the Dell Optiplex 790 USSF. We have about 200 in action and another order of about 60. In the year from the original 200 the only issue we have had is a hard drive failure in 1. They are really compact as well, the machine sits on the monitor stand.
    Aye, We use pretty much all Dell all-in-one stand style. Drilled to the desks to stop moving etc, and locked so no-one can get to the cables without cutting

Nice, tidy, and neat!

As FN mentioned, only real issues we get often are harddrives but most of those are after years.

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Aye, We use pretty much all Dell all-in-one stand style. Drilled to the desks to stop moving etc, and locked so no-one can get to the cables without cutting

Nice, tidy, and neat!

As FN mentioned, only real issues we get often are harddrives but most of those are after years.

Steve
    The good thing i like about these as appose to actual all in ones are the fact you can remove the PC unit. This is hand for repairs so you dont have to carry the whole lot. If you want to plug a different monitor in you can separate (or order) the base from the stand and everything.

They also have dual display outputs so you dont need video splitters for ones that have projectors connected.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 10th June 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Thank Post
    The good thing i like about these as appose to actual all in ones are the fact you can remove the PC unit. This is hand for repairs so you dont have to carry the whole lot. If you want to plug a different monitor in you can separate (or order) the base from the stand and everything.

They also have dual display outputs so you dont need video splitters for ones that have projectors connected.
    Aye I meant those style, just not sure what they're called All-in-one stands seemed to sum it up hehe We're running mostly 745-755-780s etc. Lots of 790s coming in over summer

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Have a look at the Stone machines - Brilliant machines and great value for money.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have stones but phasing them out. The support they provide isnt good enough and the machines havent been as reliable as the dells. The older stone machines are better than the new ones, much more reliable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Another vote for Dell OptiPlex's. Ignoring the GX280's, we haven't had any issues with any of ours.

Any new machine orders we make are the Dell Optiplex 790 USSF.
    I think the AIO in your post above has now been replaced with the iMac-style OptiPlex 9010.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are still shipping them ones we have some on order. I hope they don't replace them for the reasons above.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How much of an issue is peripheral theft in your school? Or peripheral damage through unplugging etc...?

We have a significant problem where mice and keyboards are being killed off by kids unplugging them and damaging them. Also, things being unplugged increases general support requests as they have to be put back together for use.

For that reason, in the tender we've sent out recently, we specified locking cable management. There's a few makes on the market with it available, such as Viglen's Omnino's and RM's One (both have a panel which cables are fed through and the cables clamped down underneath, like the power cable exiting a standard 3 pin plug).

The other style is that provided by the HP DC7800 series and its replacements, and other similar USFF designs - a clip on cover which hides all the cables. The problem with this is it takes relatively little effort to break them off, or if like on the DC7800, they have a reasonably sized hole in them for cables to go through or for fan intake, then little fingers can lever cables out inside.

My advice would be to get some in as demo units, and have a play. See what looks like it'd break etc...

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for your input on this one. I like the look of the Dell 9010, though I can understand some of the impracticality. The majority of PCs at our school are the Dell Optiplex 320s and they have a habbit of dropping the USB ports causing users to plug the keyboards and mice into the front ports or taking the perhiperals from other computers leading us to believe these have been stolen. I take it the Optiplex 790 doesn't have this issue? The admin computers were Dell 745s and the other PCs would have been the same but I think my predessors went for the 320s because of price. I agree with Localzuk, I need to get some demo units in, I am sold on the idea of an all in one PC as our space constraints warrant it. I did like the RM ONE as we had these in my last place and the RM Eco quiet in a mount, however the quality of RM hardware went down a bit so I am not so sure.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Novatech so a similar PC, monitor mounts on the back. But they use a standard motherboard rather than a Dell one.
    They have a cover that sits over the cable connectors on the PC and have a bolt that goes through the desk for security.

Thank Post
    Verypc do a broadleaf which is mountable, small, as vandal proof a case as you will get, custom branded and the company are great to deal with

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast