+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, SSD based machine not installing .MSI in Technical; Bit of an odd one here, and it's got me scratching my head a bit. We just recieved a eval ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SSD based machine not installing .MSI

Bit of an odd one here, and it's got me scratching my head a bit.

We just recieved a eval unit from Stone yesterday, which has a 64Gb Crucial M4 based SSD in it. First impressions, wow, really fast start up so this is looking promising. I then proceed to PXE boot it and throw our latest image down to it via WDS and that rattles through quite nicely, except... none of the GPO based .MSI's are installing, it just goes straight to the Login screen and it seems to ignore any installs. GPResult /r shows that these are applied but the software never got installed. Also, the application manager for our CSE based system is also refusing to install any prism based packages, just stuck on 'Checking Install Conditions'.

Driver issue maybe? I'm not sure, I havent installed any drivers on to it yet, just relied on the built in drivers on Win7 64Bit and those already in our WDS library but device manager is showing no issues with any hardware, ie all is listed and detected correctly.

I've only just started playing, and being the weekend, I can't really do anything, but just was asking the question here to see if anyone has had something similar?

Thanks

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Smells like a network connectivity issue, the machine is probably booting up so fast that the network stack is not ready what network card does it have and have you switched on the 'wait for network' and 'group policy wait time' policies enabled to make teh install margin a bit wider.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

FragglePete (2nd June 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm... Could be.

Just remoted in and applied this to the machine via registry (Windows 7 Clients intermittently fail to apply group policy at startup) and a MSI definately got applied this time as the Froglive component was installed which we do via GPO. The CSE App Manager is still stuck on 'Checking Install Conditions' so there could be an underlying issue that I need to get in contact with CSE. 'Wait for Network' we already have in place on a GPO.

Thanks @SYNACK for pointing me in the right direction!

I can enjoy the weekend a bit more now!

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Stones SSD Machines are brilliant! I bought 300 last summer and they where brilliant!

We where one of the first customers they had with the Corsair M4's as they had to test it before allowing us to place the order!

EDIT: just remembered the reason I posted! We never had any install issues via gpo with any machine so I doubt its the machine.
    Last edited by glennda; 2nd June 2012 at 10:06 AM.

6. Thanks to glennda from:

FragglePete (2nd June 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've come in this morning and applied the registry tweak to a GPO and re-imaged the machine - all appears to be working as expected now. Just playing with what appears to be a nice machine, although I need to get back to Stone as they've supplied a machine without DVI - I mean, who buys a PC with VGA these days!!! :P

I've got another eval unit from Millennium on it's way as well so will be able to make a decision by the end of the week but loving the whole SSD thing so far!

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread