+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP Server Questions in Technical; Hi, i am looking at purchasing a HP DL380 G7 and trying to be sold HP Memory and being steered ...

Thank Post

HP Server Questions

Hi, i am looking at purchasing a HP DL380 G7 and trying to be sold HP Memory and being steered away from purchasing cheaper Kingston RAM instead. Firstly will it work? I assume so and secondly if i swap the RAM will that invalidate the warranty at all on the server?

Secondly with those HP servers, does anyone know if they come with the hard drive trays? Again im being sold hard drives which i think already come in the hot swap trays, but i obviously dont want to pay extra for the tray if i get the trays with the base servers. I cant seem to get a clear answer from my vendor. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Decent quality compatible RAM works fine however the use of such will affect warranty.
    If you choose to use compatible you must expect to remove it should you experience any kind of issues that HP can blame on it should you have other warranty issues.
    HP Servers do not come with cages for Hot Swap drives these are supplied with the drives themselves.
    Again, the drives use customised HP Firmware the use of non HP components are easily identified and will affect any subsequent warranty claims that could be blamed on your 3rd party components.

Let us say that your Mercedes has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and you choose to do your own oil change using Un-branded mineral oil rather than the fully synthetic very expensive stuff, six months later your engine seizes up!
    Would you honestly expect Mercedes to recover your car and repair it free of charge?

I think not.

Thank Post
    ok so im better off buying HP ram and HP hard drives in cages until the warranty expires then i could start buying 3rd party components for less as i wouldn't have a warranty to worry about

Thank Post
    Exactly, check your HP Ram prices carefully as you can sometimes do better sticking with all 4GB modules or sometimes 8GB
    DDR3 comes in assorted sizes and speeds and should if possible be fitted in matching banks of 3 per CPU (ECC Registered)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread