+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Dell Latitude E5500 - Hinge manufacturing fault in Technical; Originally Posted by colacao82 I think it's important to note what PICNIC said. If your asset tag ends: B4J then ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by colacao82 View Post
    I think it's important to note what PICNIC said. If your asset tag ends: B4J then it is likely that your laptops are from a batch with faulty hinges. That could be a point for contention with the support guys in India or your account managers.
    Ours are all Y3J.

Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    We have the same problem. Dell laptops have always had issues where the screws come loose. This isn't normally a problem and causes no damage. However when the screws that hold the lid hinge and the screw either side of the screen become loose this introduces play which then stresses the plastic and it snaps.
    Yup, exactly that. The ones that come loose seem to depend on which hand the user uses the most to open the lid. If it is a left handed person, the ones on the left come loose etc... We tighten them every time we have a laptop in the office. Dell were trying to say that it is down to user misuse but when you've had 50+ of them exhibiting the issue... We've given up now, as we're half way through replacing the model.

Thank Post
    We have 240 student and around 50 staff E5500's (all are early 2009, 84J service tag)
    Several staff ones have had the broken hinge /lid issue , all have been on the RHS and all so far have been replaced under warranty.
    Warranty runs out in 2 weeks though , I think we may get more in the future (no plans to replace them unfortunately)

Have to say - cracking laptops though in spite of this , just can't work out why it's staff ones that are affected ??
    P1060207 (3).jpg

Thank Post
    Doing my favourite thing of resurrecting a corpse of a thread....

I have a laptop with this fault:

Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    Yeah we have this issue with 5400 model, we bought a load of replacement Hinge back pannels, It was a batch of 15 of which 7 had snapped. we have about 30 in total of the e5400 model, only got 1 done under warranty for free Attachment 14139
    I want to do this:

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We have 200+ E5400s which I believe have a very similar case (if not identical) and they have a design flaw with the hinges which Dell refuses to admit. We've got nowhere with them on it and have given up and instead simply replace the lids on them at a cost of £30 a time.
    Can anyone shed any light on where I can buy such a thing at that price? All I have come up with so far is US ebay sellers, where the postage is nearly as much as the item.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: Plastic case isn't broken, just the metal frame as in andy_nic's photo.
    Last edited by jmak; 30th April 2013 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I was dealing with this in my previous job, we got them through a Dell reseller - Northgate. Dell would also sell them direct if you were willing to pay by card over the phone, or were prepared to argue with your account manager to sort it out.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

jmak (30th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12