+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, ICT Suite PCs in Technical; Originally Posted by sjatkn We have been using Stone computers for the last 3 years without problems. This time I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjatkn View Post
    We have been using Stone computers for the last 3 years without problems. This time I might even look at the Lenovo all in ones. We did have HP7800's but within a week the 3.5" drive covers were being removed as where the badges and the room looked a mess.
    Was with a Client last week who had those - they looked really nice but can be a bit on the Pricey side.

Toby

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We quite like Stone kit - usually very competitive price-wise (certainly last year more so than *anyone* else). Not quite so much this year, to the point where we're saving 80 a unit by building ourselves. That saving means we can replace 70 computers instead of 45. Despite the time involved in initial builds and then diagnosis after should something go wrong, we get better warranties typically, and save a hell of a lot of money. Plus now 120GB SSD's are SO stupidly priced (avg 70 a pop) we can spec with those ourselves rather than the OEM prices which often don't take into account such drops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Currently planning, now I know that Ivy Bridge i3's aren't out till after the summer break:
    i3 2120 (about a fiver more than the 2100, may as well)
    4/8Gb RAM (dirt cheap, going 64 bit anyway)
    128Gb Crucial m4 SSD (reliable and oh-so-fast)

Not much point in i5's tbh, SSD would make a greater impact on subjective performance than the i3 > i5 jump. The few things that would saturate all 4 cores will just make use of the hyper-threading.

Will get quotes from Novatech, Stone and $otherLuckySupplier when I get round to it. When you buy HP you end up paying the HP tax to get the brand name, and there's not much point... Novatech and Stone's builds are excellent quality and much better value for money.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjatkn View Post
    We have been using Stone computers for the last 3 years without problems. This time I might even look at the Lenovo all in ones. We did have HP7800's but within a week the 3.5" drive covers were being removed as where the badges and the room looked a mess.
    Used Stone for a few computers and not had issues yet either. Warranty is good pricing too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're going with Viglen Omnino 4's here, Core i3 2120, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD (currently discussing brand - they offer OCZ, asking about Intel), 19" hard glass screens and pillar desk locks for them, and a 5 year onsite warranty.

They'll also do a bulk pack delivery (so we don't have 10 tonne of packaging to remove), pre-image them for us, and take away our legacy gear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We're going with Viglen Omnino 4's here, Core i3 2120, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD (currently discussing brand - they offer OCZ, asking about Intel), 19" hard glass screens and pillar desk locks for them, and a 5 year onsite warranty.

They'll also do a bulk pack delivery (so we don't have 10 tonne of packaging to remove), pre-image them for us, and take away our legacy gear.
    I've put 241 Omnino 4s in our school just after last summer - No major issues apart from having to use a first gen core i5 board due to build issues on CC3. The only major issue we had, was that the Intel Management Engine mysteriously dissappeared of around 20 of the mainboards, making the fans run and max out. We also found that if they weren't reported to us that the boards would run for a while and die. If we caught them early enough with a BIOS flash, they returned to normal. Viglen replaced the boards when requested - no questions asked. I cannot recommend the machines or the support highly enough.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have PM'd.

Chris

Thank Post
    we went for these , dual core is enough for what we use them for

Fujitsu Esprimo E400 Small Form Factor PC / Intel Core i3-2120 / 2GB / 500GB / Windows 7 Pro + FREE 3 Year Warranty - www.misco.co.uk

obviously the 3 year warrenty is worth it for us , onsite so any MB problems they come out and fix . Weve had Fujitu's before and they lasted 4 years and are now all dieing due to capacitor issues ! ( which these are replacing )

Extra stick of ram @ 8 and jobs a gooden
    Last edited by 2097; 22nd May 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    VeryPC.

I dont get the stone obsession

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My questions for this would be:

Would you consider a TC (Thin Client) solution?

Are you open to open source?

(a comparable suite running Linux would be half this budget!)

BJG
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    I dont get the stone obsession
    I'm not keen on Stone personally - had quite a few problems with them.
    Last edited by BJG; 22nd May 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    We are looking at a getting a suite of these as long as our demo unit is up to scratch

The 2000A Space Saver

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

What sort of price are you paying for those per unit? Feel free to PM me. :-)

Edit: Oh, I see pricing now. This about right? http://www.viglen.co.uk/devportal/st...ID=17628077835

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12