+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Oracle S7120 - to BUY or Not to BUY :-) in Technical; Sun ZFS Storage 7120 | High-Capacity, Entry-Level Storage | Oracle Hi All, I have been tasked to evaluate a Shared ...

Thank Post

Oracle S7120 - to BUY or Not to BUY :-)

Sun ZFS Storage 7120 | High-Capacity, Entry-Level Storage | Oracle

Hi All,

I have been tasked to evaluate a Shared Storage (will primarily be used as a NAS) and a volume separate for LUNs (two or three LUNS). We have a distributed architecture application which gets a job from multiple computers, process and stores data on a Shared Storage, it can be a NAS or a LUN mounted on a server too.

I have checked NetAPP, EMC but I am inclined towards using ZFS. Oracle appliance seems good to me but I have read posts on edugeek and at first it was very promising but some posts mentioned that oracle firmwares are not doing so well with these kits, also the features I am after are Dedupe, SMB Sharing, Active Directory Integration and iSCSI, I have read on these forums that dedup and all these features slow this 7120 down ? 24GB RAM ? still ?

On Oracle's website, the price is listed as $24K for 11 x 3TB Disks ? is this true ? 33TeraBytes in 24,000 Dollars ? or once we get to purchase then they add a few bolt-on's to increase the price.

What type of disks are they using in 7120? SAS, Near Line SAS or SATA ?

Will be grateful if someone could provide suggestions as to whether to leave oracle 7120 aside or to go for it ?
    We need 16TB of Usable Space and 7120 seems a good purchase consider 11 x 3TB Disks at 24K USD ?

Looking forward to your suggestions - Thanks (This is a great forum)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Hi, as one of the ones that you will have seen loving the product, I despise them and yes that is a harsh term but I spend more hours of my life stressing having issues with them than I care to recall.

Spend your money on something from EMC, I know I would have saved up / beaten SLT up for additional funds to have done so now if I could see what state we would be in.

Our SAN this morning randomly for 5 minutes decided to not bother serving files via CIFS thus logons jammed, home areas dropped etc... it was still happy via NFS for the VMs thankfully.

The last firmware upgrades took forever and left me worrying how bad it would be and it took 10 days for Disk IO to become to a level where a VM didn't lag off that SAN, and to top it off it looks like my 7120 has now got File Fragmentation issues just like my 7110 did about a year ago where the only fix is to delete everything off it and start again, great now where do I put my 6TB of data when my other SAN only has 2TB usable space..... Oracle couldn't answer that one for me and just suggested that I buy another SAN then I could mirror them -_-

On-costs are also appalling for them, a good 30% of budget goes on the support contacts, yes they are platinum but that is all they offer thus VERY expensive now

Thank Post
    I would have to agree, which may be a bit rich coming from the guy that sold John his. I feel the support of the product is currently poor.

EMC VNXe series kit is a much better option at the moment.

Also they have no redundancy built in so all eggs in one basket unless you buy 2, which then needs a very expensive pair of replication licenses
    Last edited by linescanner; 9th May 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    the EMC vnxe is interesting. But i don't know how it would compare on price vs performnce with something like a Dell Md3220i where you can fill it with 1TB NL-SAS drives for not far off the 7120 per TB dollar price.

If you want capacity and can sacrifice on performance then the Md iscsi from Dell or HP MSA iscsi san's will always be a popular choice.

Thank Post
    The VNXe is easy to manage but you sacrifice some control as a result (fixed RAID groups etc)

On price all depends on what offers are on at the time and your negotiating skills

Thank Post
    Having been a big fan of these originally, having recently been bitten in the backside by the Oracle version of the software and the poor support I would grudgingly say look elsewhere. Shop around and haggle, you'll be surprised how the prices drop on storage products once you start playing them off against each other, certainly don't go off list or your first quotes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    I would have to agree, which may be a bit rich coming from the guy that sold John his. I feel the support of the product is currently poor.

EMC VNXe series kit is a much better option at the moment.

Also they have no redundancy built in so all eggs in one basket unless you buy 2, which then needs a very expensive pair of replication licenses
    I do need to add that yes that man is "guilty" of selling me aforementioned SAN's, however that excellent supplier is still here for me battling away at Oracle and helping me to try and get something more useful out of them than a set of expensive shiny flashy objects which is what I have got at timed so full marks to Andy and Kim and team at Cutter Project for continuing to battle with me on them it is much appreciated as ever you go above and beyond the call of duty

8. Thanks to john from:

linescanner (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    I've got a 7410 and it's pretty great... but I wouldn't buy another. It's been fairly reliable for us and Oracle support hasn't been bad, but the drive that the product had with Sun seems to have disappeared and any feature requests just end up as "maybe by the end of the year, but we've got other priorities". I'd lean towards EMC as other have suggested, although HP/3PAR might be worth a look. NetApp are only worth it if you can afford the higher-end boxes, don't mess with the FAS2020 and similar. We also bought from Cutter (linescanner), and while Oracle have been hit and miss, Cutter have always been excellent and looked after us well.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 10th May 2012 at 11:43 AM.

10. Thanks to Duke from:

linescanner (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    and I am sure this jinxed my product, my 7120 has gone haywire this morning just typical as I am away for a few days! GRRR blasted Oracle!

Thank Post
    Not seen any of the latest EMC VNXe SANs but I've been really impressed with our Dell Equallogic great set of features easy, nice interface, good speed any touch wood no headaches with firmware upgrades. Only had to phone support once querying something and they where extremely quick and helpful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Not seen any of the latest EMC VNXe SANs but I've been really impressed with our Dell Equallogic great set of features easy, nice interface, good speed any touch wood no headaches with firmware upgrades. Only had to phone support once querying something and they where extremely quick and helpful.
    Yup same here - I've been setting one up this week for a client and they are pretty good. Its the only piece of dell kit I buy as its not actually dell's product - they bought the company who originally made it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread