+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP P2055 control panel lock in Technical; I was wondering if anyone has come across the problem of students changing the language on these printers and if ...
    Thank Post

HP P2055 control panel lock

I was wondering if anyone has come across the problem of students changing the language on these printers and if there was a way to lock the control panel down without the use of the JetAdmin software?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm currently looking for the exact same thing. We have the lots of HP p2055dn's and an HP cp2025dn [colour version], and I'm looking for a way to lock the local control panel. I know this has to be possible, as I somehow did it on the cp2025dn before it's firmware upgrade. I remember setting the option, and having the printer display "Menu Access Disabled" or something along those lines on the local printer LCD panel if I tried to access anything other than toner supplies to view toner levels. This was great. But now since all the printers have up to date firmware, I can't find where this option is for the life of me.

I've talked to HP both on the phone and via chat support, but the support reps haven't been much help. One of them told me to use the HP Web JetAdmin [even though it requires 5.5GB to install and a local SQL server express install] and I haven't found the option to adjust these settings within that. The other person told me that setting an admin password should lock the control panel, but it most definitely does not.

If anyone has found a way to do this, I'd really, really like to know.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by link470 View Post
    haven't found the option to adjust these settings within that.

Thanks!
    If you're saying that you couldn't find where to restrict access to the CP from within WJA, try selecting the printer > Config tab > Security subsection > Control Panel Access.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    If you're saying that you couldn't find where to restrict access to the CP from within WJA, try selecting the printer > Config tab > Security subsection > Control Panel Access.
    Thanks for your reply! I checked inside WJA for that option, and I could get as far as selecting the printer, choosing the Config tab, and expanding the Security options tree, and under that I only see:
    •Access Control List
    •Embedded Web Server Password
    •Encrypt all web communication
    •Encryption strength
    •Get community Name
    •PJL Password
    •Printer Firmware Update
    •Set Community Name
    •SNMP Version Access Control

Can't find Control Panel Access. I could have sworn it was available in the printers web based configuration panel before, but I can't see it now. Starting to wonder if it was a firmware upgrade somewhere along the way that changed the setting. I can't imagine why anyone would remove it though, it's a really good setting for security and preventing tampering.

Thank Post
    Can't find Control Panel Access. I could have sworn it was available in the printers web based configuration panel before, but I can't see it now. Starting to wonder if it was a firmware upgrade somewhere along the way that changed the setting. I can't imagine why anyone would remove it though, it's a really good setting for security and preventing tampering.
    Yes, sounds like you're right.

PJL would be the last possible resort - the only time I had need to use it (with an LJ4100 connected to a print server over parallel) I couldn't get it to work. This document is pretty ancient, so may not even apply to modern laserjets. Furthermore, given that HP have removed this functionality from WJA and web access, I would assume HP have disabled it for PJL as well.

Thank Post
    Can't find Control Panel Access.
    I was having the same problem in Web Jetadmin until yesterday. For some reason, when you create a configuration template you get a lot more options than when you right click on a printer to configure it.

The fix:
    - In WJA, under device management, go to Overview > Configuration, Templates
    - Right click on Templates, and click Create configuration template...
    - Click the Security box, then Control Panel Access
    - Choose your settings, name the template, Next, Create Template, Done
    - Navigate back to your device, right click it, Configuration > Apply configuration template > Your_New_Template

That should solve it. Worked for my printers yesterday.

Note: I'm running HP Web Jetadmin version 10.2.73942 (versus the current 10.2.80493), so those steps may appear slightly different if you have a different build.

Also note: I was led here by Google. I created an account just to respond to this question. I am extremely new to print management (about 40 days into the job), so I'm pretty excited to have found a community to discuss any Web Jetadmin issues I will most certainly have in the future.

7. Thanks to tannerozzy from:

SYNACK (8th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi tannerozzy, welcome to the forums! Thanks for your reply.

Good call on those settings, that Control Panel Access setting was indeed there! However, it didn't work for me. I think the control panel access feature must have been completely stripped from these printers which is really unfortunate given what a good setting it is to have. I noticed that there were 3 sections for control panel access, and when I hovered over the title of each one, I noticed that they were each for different printer models. I tried them all at once, then tried each one individually to see if that would work. None would apply to the p2055dn printers that I was trying to configure, each one gave me a warning that said the printer model didn't support that feature. So close!!

Thank Post
    Just thought i would update this.. just got round to installing the Web JetAdmin on a machine and its running 10.3.90613 to see what i could fathern out and it seems the HP P2055 isn't listed as been able to lock the control panel.

After taking a copy of the control panel display template and edited it making sure all printer models and network cards were selected, i expanded security, found the Control Panel Access and saw there were 4 different options for different printers.. see attached photos..

001.png002.1.png002.png002.2.png003.png004.png

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread