+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Virgin Super Hub. Anything I should know? in Technical; I'm about to get an upgrade at home tomorrow from Virgin which will see me getting a Tivo (Yay!) and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries

Virgin Super Hub. Anything I should know?

I'm about to get an upgrade at home tomorrow from Virgin which will see me getting a Tivo (Yay!) and a Super Hub (as well as an upgrade to 60Mbps) and all for a couple of quid less per month than I'm currently paying. Which is nice.
    I have however, heard several bad things about the Super Hub when it was initially launched a year or so back from several online news sources, so I'm quite keen to know if these have been sorted out and whether I should be aware of anything else once it has been installed. So, does anyone have one and what do you think?
    Oh! And is the Tivo as good as they say?

Thank Post
    Its a netgear router. Says it all for me really.

Thank Post
    AFAIK wireless still hit and miss, I use another device to provide wireless connectivity.

Thank Post
    My brother has done the same. He has an Airport extreme hanging off his router to provide the wireless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Put it in modem only mode and use a third party one. The super hub is unstable, unreliable and useless in my experience.

I have a Zyxel router doing the routing part and wireless part instead.

Thank Post
    Depends what you want really. I initially liked the superhub but the range is poor and since there is no ariel I can't really do anything about it.
    Tivo is very different to the V+ box and does some rather good things with series link and being able to select types of programs that you like to watch. HD is still only 1080i and the 3d content is poor. But with the good things are small irritations. You can't set rminders and when a recording starts sometimes is make the banner appear whilst you are watching. The ethernet port is live and can be attched to the superhub and is due to allow access to recorded content from devices attached to your LAN.

App for setting programs to record is available but a bit limited as far as I can see.

Thank Post
    We are still waiting for them to upgrade the TIVO firmware to allow it to act as the media centre it should be. Currently the connectivity components that would enable it to media mine content from other devices connected to the same LAN isn't active.
    Something about the Virgin branded UI not having had the code written for it yet.. or something.
    I haven't actually asked VM about it in months so forget the technoschpiel the trained monkey on the phone reeled off.

oh don't forget that it does enable you to record 3 programmes at once... as long as you are watching recorded content (not live tv) at the time.
    Otherwise its record 2 channels and watch a third.
    IIRC
    Last edited by JohnCondon; 23rd April 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Its a netgear router. Says it all for me really.
    I currently have the 'lower' spec cable router from them, which is also a Netgear. To say it is flakey would be an understatement, with sudden wi-fi drop outs which can only be fixed by connecting via cat5 which for some reason magically make it spring back to life I was hoping the Super would be an improvement.
    Ah well, I have an old Edimax 'n' router somewhere here in the office which I may have to dig out then. I know the Super Hub is supposed to be duel band too, buty I've just found out you can only use one at once (what's the pont in that!), but I think the two laptops in the house both have 5Ghz capable cards in anyway (I hope).
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 23rd April 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Got a similar offer a few weeks ago, but (for various reasons) only had it a fortnight.

Superhub does seem a bit flakey, and seemed to keep resetting itself. Has been OK over the weekend, though. As the engineer was hinting that I might be better using my existing kit for wireless it doesn't bode well - but I don't see how that would help if the main box is resetting. Range seems OK for in the house (small end-of-terrace 3 beds), but the strength bar on my tablet does seem to vary!

TIVO seems quite good, particularly the ability to set recordings for (say) films that aren't currently scheduled. The database is a bit limited, and there are some odd quirks, though. Preferred the ability of the V+ to output to a recorder and still allow use - can't see how to do that on the TIVO (but this may be deliberate!). Shame that, as mentioned above, a lot of the functionality is crippled.

On the whole (coupled with a massive BB speed increase and allegedly unlimited online storage), well worth +20p/month.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Put it in modem only mode and use a third party one. The super hub is unstable, unreliable and useless in my experience.

I have a Zyxel router doing the routing part and wireless part instead.
    Plus 1 - Have done the exact same, web GUI --> Modem mode --> Apply --> wait for a few minutes until it is in modem mode, disconnect power lead for 10 seconds, power it back on, wait a few more minutes for it to re synch / load etc

Then hook up your own device whether zyxel WAP or whatever and configure this as required, done

Superhub, bit flakey ( understatement ) *cough cough*

Gone through about 4 of them and wireless only worked for a couple of days on each one and then just refused to work after then and the firewall on it is pants, I had to disable the firewall on each one and now seems to work better in just modem mode.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd April 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Got a similar offer a few weeks ago, but (for various reasons) only had it a fortnight.

Superhub does seem a bit flakey, and seemed to keep resetting itself. Has been OK over the weekend, though. As the engineer was hinting that I might be better using my existing kit for wireless it doesn't bode well - but I don't see how that would help if the main box is resetting. Range seems OK for in the house (small end-of-terrace 3 beds), but the strength bar on my tablet does seem to vary!

TIVO seems quite good, particularly the ability to set recordings for (say) films that aren't currently scheduled. The database is a bit limited, and there are some odd quirks, though. Preferred the ability of the V+ to output to a recorder and still allow use - can't see how to do that on the TIVO (but this may be deliberate!). Shame that, as mentioned above, a lot of the functionality is crippled.

On the whole (coupled with a massive BB speed increase and allegedly unlimited online storage), well worth +20p/month.

They are letting me keep the V+ box (for some reason!), so how do you output the content? I know that you could send it to VHS (and teh pint of that is?), but wasn't aware that you could send it elsewhere. If you can that would be sweet!

Thank Post
    I had no problem with the superhub once I turned wireless off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    They are letting me keep the V+ box (for some reason!), so how do you output the content? I know that you could send it to VHS (and teh pint of that is?), but wasn't aware that you could send it elsewhere. If you can that would be sweet!
    If there was anything I wanted to archive (obviously only until it became available to purchase) I used to SCART it out to a DVD recorder or my PC. (Yes, I did buy a very long SCART lead!) There's a menu item that allows this, but still leaves the box "free" to view programs/recordings. With the TIVO, it looks as if any archiving ties up the whole box.

I got to keep my V+, too (moved it upstairs to replace the Samsung box there). Unfortunately it died just before the TIVO upgrade, and while it was swapped for a new one I wasn't allowed to try to salvage the contents of the disc. The Tivo's search function came in very handy for setting up "wishlists" to record some of the stuff when/if it resurfaces.

14. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Dos_Box (23rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    as @localzuk says, turn it into modem mode and use your own wireless router. The wireless part of these routers is very poor, though I have not tried it on the latest firmware version. As soon as my router was upgraded modem mode was turned on and I hooked up my old router has worked without problems (it's Netgear as well!).

OB1

Thank Post
    I've just got one of these at home, up from a DSL-2460r. That had trouble with wireless, but masking the SSID seemed to improve things dramatically, so we've done that from the get-go with the superhub. Had it less than a week, but all seems well so far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast