+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Virgin Super Hub. Anything I should know? in Technical; Yeah radiators are the biggest killers of Wi-Fi signals as you are all probably aware. Also you should have WAPs ...

Thank Post
    Yeah radiators are the biggest killers of Wi-Fi signals as you are all probably aware. Also you should have WAPs as high up as possible. to allow the signal to go overheads. Difficult to do this in a home environment though. Sometimes you just don't have the choice where you put stuff.

My Mother-in law's house has an extension and if you walk from the kitchen to the extension with a laptop the signal dies instantly as soon as you step over the threshold. I also had to reboot her WifI router the other day - a netgear one.

Thank Post
    I had to downgrade the speed of my router as packets were getting dropped - now I have though, it's working well and fast enough for everything I need. Bit odd though.

Thank Post
    Had my superhub since Friday 4th May and non of the issues mentioned have arose yet

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    According to a Virgin Engener You have to set the channel and this fixes the issue, He sugested Chnnl 11-13 or 1-3 as there isnt asmuch on these channels.
    wether this works is debateable as i havent tryed it according to a frend it dosent, but what do you expect from cheep netgear products. Sorry any diehard NetGear fans. [FYI the superhub is a Netgear Product]
    Last edited by januttall; 8th May 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    There is discussion on the last forum I linked too about the location of the internal antennas being poorly implemented so if the SH is near a wall, radiator, fresh air, the signal suffers dreadfully. In fact this here from Virgin: Troubleshooting the Virgin Media Super Hub

Mine is behind the TV, against the wall and next to a radiator. Hmmm.
    At last I see the problems that I have, I have an older house which is stupidly made of a series of brick walls with Radiators fitted to the brick walls. I need to get the brick walls replaced with wood and paper and than remove the stupid radiators which seem to only be used to heat the house..........

Thank Post
    According to a Virgin Engener You have to set the channel and this fixes the issue, He sugested Chnnl 11-13 or 1-3 as there isnt asmuch on these channels.
    I have set my last couple of routers including my new shiny "super hub" to channel 13 and have never had any major problems...
    If is scan all the wireless around my house there is nobody else on that channel...but loads on channel 1 or 6...

Thank Post
    My (not-so)Super Hub was dying every 48 hours or so. Virgin informed me it was a known issue which could be fixed by dropping the wireless to 150mpbs. That made the range even worse, so the back bedroom got about 1mpbs. Upped the speed back to 300 and played for a while with the channels Settled on one that gave me a decent signal to the back room (125mbps or thereabouts) and stuck with it. Been fine since. Still another disappointing netgear product though...

Thank Post
    My findings with the Superhub so far are..
    1.Poor range with no ability to add an antena to help boost this as I have been able to do in the past.
    2.Poor internal speed, transfering files from my NAS to my PC (both cabled) is only ever able to run at 5-6mb /second
    3.System appears to slowly grind to a halt and then drop the signal. ?(middle light goes out) a simple restart ussually fixes this.

I am moving to the modem only mode and adding a newer router to hopefully fix these problems.

9. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

mac_shinobi (8th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Port Forwarding does not work, unless you put it into modem only mode. and plug your own modem in. add this to the list of screwups in the NetGear Super Hub list

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    Port Forwarding does not work, unless you put it into modem only mode. and plug your own modem in. add this to the list of screwups in the NetGear Super Hub list
    It does on mine. Quite well in fact. I maybe an exception though

I have to reset my box every week or so - I guess that's common too.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    My findings with the Superhub so far are..
    1.Poor range with no ability to add an antena to help boost this as I have been able to do in the past.
    2.Poor internal speed, transfering files from my NAS to my PC (both cabled) is only ever able to run at 5-6mb /second
    3.System appears to slowly grind to a halt and then drop the signal. ?(middle light goes out) a simple restart ussually fixes this.

I am moving to the modem only mode and adding a newer router to hopefully fix these problems.
    All of the above as well.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dislike the SuperHub but this isn't right. I used port forwarding on mine when it was in router mode.

Thank Post
    wether this works is debateable as i havent tryed it according to a frend it dosent, but what do you expect from cheep netgear products. Sorry any diehard NetGear fans. [FYI the superhub is a Netgear Product]
    This would work on a normal router assuming you did a wireless network scan to see what other wireless networks were or are using as far as channels are concerned assuming there was a free channel ( as far as can remember - could be wrong here ) I think you are best having each channel 5 channels apart from each other so there is no over lap in traffic etc

Where I am there are just so many wireless networks at least on the 2.4 Ghz range that there are no free channels and I tried this along with a lot of other suggestions and it did not make any difference ( at least not on the virgin not so super hub ), In all honesty I think they have royally borked the firmware up on the super hub.

I tried

* Auto Channel and manual channels
    * Adjusting or more to the point increasing dhcp timeout for wireless clients
    * Adjusting the speed option for wireless ( 54mbps, 145mbps and even 300 mbps and yes I know 300 mbps doesn't work or not as well as the other ones )
    * Adjusted encryption methods ( wep, wpa-psk, wpa-psk2 and even auto )
    * adjusting the SSID each time I changed a setting
    * Making changes and power cycling the superhub for the settings to take effect correctly
    * Disabled all the firewall features on the superhub ( or at the very least the ip flooding one )
    * Checked the firmware version was the latest one
    * Set the DHCP lease range so it could only dish out about 10 to 15 ip addresses
    * Tried setting a static ip address on the clients wireless card / device

Wireless would only work for a day or two at most and then fall over as in it would advertise the SSID but you couldn't connect to it for love nor money

The only thing I didn't try was hiding the SSID but I now have a different router and have the virgin media super hub set to modem mode - seems to work better this way and don't really wanna mess about with anymore settings as finally got it working, the whole 'If it aint broke, dont fix it !!'

Thank Post
    I have the superhub here, I have never had a problem with it since installation, wireless is crowded in my area though, I am one of about 10 ssids on scanning, works though without much drama here, you have to fiddle a bit with it though from what I recall, turning some settings off to improve it a bit.
    Last edited by rich_tech; 28th May 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TBH, the main bugbear I have encountered is that you can only use either 2.4 or 5 GHz, not both a the same time, meaning that whilst all the laptops in the house have 5GHz capable cards, I can't use the wireless to sync my phone for email etc, so have to use the locally cluttered 2.4 range (no one has a detectable 5GHz router in range of my house) and with 10+ routers I can detect from here, it makes for a pretty cluttered spectrum

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast