+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Virgin Super Hub. Anything I should know? in Technical; Originally Posted by OB1 I've just got one of these at home, up from a DSL-2460r. That had trouble with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    I've just got one of these at home, up from a DSL-2460r. That had trouble with wireless, but masking the SSID seemed to improve things dramatically, so we've done that from the get-go with the superhub. Had it less than a week, but all seems well so far.
    Does hiding the SSID help in general with regards to wireless or is this a virgin superhub only thing ?

Just where I live there are lots of wireless networks on the 2.4 Ghz range and trying to get my own wireless to work to a reasonable degree is sometimes a pita.

Thank Post
    Terrific! I'm supposed to be getting mine tomorrow (no TV - just internet and phone).

If you were to ditch their router / wireless and purchase a new better one (capable of 100MB and N Wireless) would you be allowed and are therere any recommendations?

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    Terrific! I'm supposed to be getting mine tomorrow (no TV - just internet and phone).

If you were to ditch their router / wireless and purchase a new better one (capable of 100MB and N Wireless) would you be allowed and are therere any recommendations?

HBJB
    Yes you can - log onto the super hub web GUI - click on modem mode and apply ( IP addy of superhub is generally 192.168.0.1 and when put into modem mode it changes to something like 192.168.100.1 --> How do I set up Modem Mode on my Super Hub? )

As for suggested Wi-Fi Routers this will depend on how much money you are willing to stump up / pay for a wireless router ?

Being an apple kind of person I went for the airport extreme dual band 2011 fifth gen. It is lacking in a few features and as per small net builder website --> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/labels/Wireless-router

Goes through all the different routers.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd April 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get my SuperHub on 1st May, not bothered to upgrade any of my other packages though as I need to wait a few months because I wangled a good deal for us last year (because I refused to pay extra to have the SuperHub setup to get an upgraded line ... and sure enough we all now get it for free!)

OB1

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Does hiding the SSID help in general with regards to wireless or is this a virgin superhub only thing ?
    I've found it helps generally, this is purely anecdotal mind. It may be that we just had one persistent neighbour trying to brute force us with a toaster. I've done it with a linksys wrt54g (flashed to dd-wrt) as well.
    Last edited by OB1; 24th April 2012 at 09:19 AM.

6. Thanks to OB1 from:

mac_shinobi (24th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I've just got one of these at home, up from a DSL-2460r. That had trouble with wireless, but masking the SSID seemed to improve things dramatically, so we've done that from the get-go with the superhub. Had it less than a week, but all seems well so far.
    Mine's been hidden since day one, but still periodically resets. I spoke too soon yesterday: it reset 3 times during the night, which is really annoying when you're using your PC as a DLNA server and trying to watch a film/programme!

8. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

mac_shinobi (24th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I've found it helps generally, this is purely anecdotal mind. It may be that we just had one persistent neighbour trying to brute force us with a toaster. I've done it with a linksys wrt54g (flashed to dd-wrt) as well.
    Might give it a go, hope they bring out an iphone 5 with 5ghz wireless as the 2.4ghz is just too flooded / over used in my area.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've just got back in the office after the nice man from Virgin came and fitted everything (he came early too!). He even fitted a new cable splitter to the outside of the house so we could use the old V+ box at the same time as teh Tivo!! Now we can record <looks at fingers> one, two, three, MANY channels at the same time which is great because we can use the V+ box for all of the kids stuff.
    As regards the internet, I am now the proud ownder of a 60Mbps connection and was happily downloading W7 SP1 from Microsoft @ 2MB (not Mb) per second on the 5Ghz range as a test. I'll have to wait until later to do a full survey of the house though. The Tivo was a bit fo a pian to install as it had to update itself which took quite some time before the guy could authorise it on the network.
    Anyway, well done Virgin, and I look forwards to hammering the connection tonight

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Anyway, well done Virgin, and I look forwards to hammering the connection tonight
    And then being throttled / traffic shaped for ever after ............. ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    And then being throttled / traffic shaped for ever after ............. ??
    That will be one of the tests I do wonder what the limit is for a 60meg connection though. Anyone already on this and can help out?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, found this on one the VM forums:

Virgin Media has published the download and upload traffic management constraints that will accompany the new "double" speeds as they roll out. Full details at thinkbroadband.com, but here are the XXL limitations:
    XXL 50Mbps and XL60: If you download more than 5Gb between 4pm and 9am your download speed will be halved for five hours, if you upload more than 12Gb you'll have to put up with operating at 25% of your normal speed for five hours. XXL 100Mbps customers hit their speed bumps at 10Gb on the download and 12Gb on the upload.
    Now I'm not a heavy downloading demon so these won't affect me (half of 100mb will be the speed I currently enjoy and I don't need 100mb to be truthful) but many will be unhappy.
    What makes me very unhappy at the moment is the unreliability of the broadband in South East London of late: up and down on a daily basis after years of stability and where once I had an impressive 48mbps I'm seeing speeds of half that. I'm told by CS that it's due to the engineering going on (we're due for the speed doubling in July) but the nightly loss of service is turning out to be a huge problem for my daughter's exam prep. Come on Virgin, sort it out please!
    So I download 5GB and get throttled to 30Mbps. Erm, I think I can live with that

OB1

Thank Post
    Virgin's traffic management policy can be found here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, reading the link info (thinkbroadband :: Virgin Media updates traffic management policy to reflect new products), I get a 4.2GB limit and get reduced to 15Mbps. Which is still 5meg faster than my last 'top whack' speed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Ah, reading the link info (thinkbroadband :: Virgin Media updates traffic management policy to reflect new products), I get a 4.2GB limit and get reduced to 15Mbps. Which is still 5meg faster than my last 'top whack' speed.
    Maybe just me but find it annoying that they advertise as the fastest etc but then only let you download a dvd worth or just over and then throttle you back down to 15 mbps or below.

Why make a big fuss about got the fastest, got the fastest but then put your connection back to the stone after downloading a dvd worth. I'm on the 60mbps connection and only seems after a certain point at night when it goes back to a better speed / bandwidth etc vs between 10 and 3pm in the day where it goes seriously slow

Thank Post
    Ive got the super Hub, Wireless is pants it just about goes half way through house so whacked in a Cat 5 cable and ran it upstairs to the old Virgin wireless router and used that for upstairs wireless,

No problems at all!

but my friends with a superhub has a weekly problem of it not working.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast