+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, School Bell Systems, especially Bodet in Technical; Rather on the fringes of ICT , but the Bursar has given the project to me. The head has decided ...

Thank Post

School Bell Systems, especially Bodet

Rather on the fringes of ICT, but the Bursar has given the project to me. The head has decided we need a bell system to signal the end of lessons. I think everyone is having so much fun learning they lose track of the time.

It is quite a distributed site, so I think we will need a wireless system or one that uses the existing network, rather than a system requiring dedicated wiring. I have got some people from Bodet coming into show us their Melodys Sounder system. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or similar systems they could share with me.

If the dedicated systems end up too expensive, I might be rigging up some kind of computer based reminder system, but obviously that would have disadvantages with computer being off or muted and so on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Ours is integrated into our Fire Alarm system. We have a controller which is attached to said system and triggers the alarm for short bursts for lesson ends - although we have actually halved the number bells which go off each day.

Perhaps talking to your fire alarm company as well?

3. Thanks to glennda from:

Jollity (7th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Danfoss timer wired into sounders across the site.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Perhaps talking to your fire alarm company as well?
    I have no idea how the fire alarms are set up, but it might be worth seeing if we can make use of their infrastructure. Thanks for the idea!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    I have no idea how the fire alarms are set up, but it might be worth seeing if we can make use of their infrastructure. Thanks for the idea!
    Ours has its own circuit and as far as the Fire Alarm system is concerned the alarm is triggered but then the device stops the alarm after 5 seconds or so - it does occasionally make you sit up and listen when you think the bell change has been going for a while and actually its just you thinking that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Ours has its own circuit and as far as the Fire Alarm system is concerned the alarm is triggered but then the device stops the alarm after 5 seconds or so - it does occasionally make you sit up and listen when you think the bell change has been going for a while and actually its just you thinking that!
    Fire Alarms are a common way now, our new fire alarm does the sessional bells as well, but they must operate a different tone to meet regulations so I am told so we might have a ring for fire and a beep for lessons maybe.....

Thank Post
    Sadly the fire alarm idea turned out to be a non-starter as our fire alarms are on independent circuits in each building.

We had a Bodet rep into demonstrate their system. It seems pretty swish: 16 different recorded sounds you can trigger and potential to use the same system to do things like switching off floodlights at fixed times. It is not cheap though.

Thank Post
    Do you have a school wide tannoy system?
    Last edited by mjs_mjs; 14th April 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: being dyslexic!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Do you have a school wide tanno system?
    Nope. The current level of our schoolwide broadcast communication is wall-mounted manual bells and hand-held hooters.

Thank Post
    Fire Alarms are a common way now, our new fire alarm does the sessional bells as well, but they must operate a different tone to meet regulations so I am told so we might have a ring for fire and a beep for lessons maybe.....
    Oh really? Anyone confirm this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Ours are the same tone for lessons and fire, only difference being lessons are a 2-3 second ring while the fire is constant (and one we've never used: bomb alarm is a constant on and off, very few people actually know this....i was a student here when they tested it in 2001, whether that's still the case though i don't know )

We've never been told about the tone having to be different unless that's a new regulation? that said it's not part of our job, it's all down to the site team.

Thank Post
    We use Bodet here. Setting up has to be well planned, and power is required to all sounders. All works well and the software is robust.

Tom

15. Thanks to sirsir from:

Jollity (16th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsir View Post
    We use Bodet here. Setting up has to be well planned, and power is required to all sounders. All works well and the software is robust.
    Thanks, that is good to hear.

What in particular needs to be planned in the setting up? We were thinking about doing the install ourselves rather than paying their engineers to do it, as our head of maintenance is a competent electrician - do you think that would be a mistake?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread