+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Bombproof (Studentproof) Desktops? in Technical; Hi folks, We're going to replace somewhere between 2-4 of our IT Suites (50-100+ PCs) over the Summer hols, and ...
    Thank Post

Question Bombproof (Studentproof) Desktops?

Hi folks,

We're going to replace somewhere between 2-4 of our IT Suites (50-100+ PCs) over the Summer hols, and I wanted to start looking at replacement desktops.

We don't need screens or OS (we have the licenses already), so I wanted to get the most power possible in a box, with a budget of 400. I also want to get something with as simple a case as possible, so no panels that can be pushed in, no CD-ROM... I'm sure you get the picture. The hard drive also doesn't need to be much more than 100GB, although I know there's not a lot of money to be saved there, and it depends on the most economic hard drive price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for makes/models and/or places to buy from?

I've seen some cases with a VESA mount on the side, which gets the box out of sight (and potentially out of mind). These certainly look of interest, and would also free up some desk space. Anyone got any practical experiences of this type of case? Aside from having to remove the stands from 50-100 monitors.

TIA

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Personally I use Stone Computers - they will customize the model to what you need.

We have the Mini-tower case times 300 and the older version which has alot more parts to break although the panels on the newer model have been desinged to be less breakable!

They will also do no OS which you don't tend to get with HP/Dell etc. I will PM you more info on what we paid etc as don't think should publish!

EDIT - if you can afford (and you should with that budget) get a 120GB SSD in it! Its so much better!
    Last edited by glennda; 5th April 2012 at 01:54 PM.

3. Thanks to glennda from:

Gongalong (5th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Gongalong,

if you are after for a unit tougher than a squad of marines I'd recommend looking into the Broadleaf range- having been told the units were robust enough to stand on, I tested it and can confirm it dealt with my 16st very admirably! I'll drop you a PM with some further details and get a demo unit sorted for you.

Broadleaf.jpg

Mark
    Last edited by CPLTD; 5th April 2012 at 02:10 PM.

5. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Thank Post
    Hi there,

We're a partner of Very PC who i think would be ideal for this. They can custom build the desktops to your exact specs including no OS and they can engrave the schools name onto the front of the box for free. It looks really good. One of my larger schools have this done.

Let me know if you need a quote

Thanks

photo.JPG

photo2.jpg
    Last edited by Millgate; 5th April 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Pic Uploaded

7. Thanks to Millgate from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Hi Gongalong,

if you are after for a unit tougher than a squad of marines I'd recommend looking into the Broadleaf range- having been told the units were robust enough to stand on, I tested it and can confirm it dealt with my 16st very admirably! I'll drop you a PM with some further details and get a demo unit sorted for you.

Mark
    Ha, snap!

9. Thanks to Millgate from:

Thank Post
    I can also recomend broadleaf, we used them for desktops in a manufacturing environment, we had them customized with filters on the fans and a solid front panel with the company logo on them.The machine shop killed a batch of dells within 2 months by feeding them cutting fluid vapours... Dell gave us our money back and we made an investment.

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For note, for that price range you can get high end i3/lower end i5, 4gb ram, SSD and a decent SFF case with 5 year warranty. Stone are usually quite good to us for that sort of thing however RM have been able to price match, perhaps surprisingly. Those VeryPC units look nice though...

13. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Hi folks,

We're going to replace somewhere between 2-4 of our IT Suites (50-100+ PCs) over the Summer hols, and I wanted to start looking at replacement desktops.

We don't need screens or OS (we have the licenses already),

TIA
    Are you sure about that, AFAIK all MS licencing schemes only provide upgrades and MS OEM operating systems can not be transfered to another machine. Unless you have a load of retail copies of windows you will probably need to include an OS in the price.

We're buying Stone at the moment. The hardware isn't overly exciting, but it's robust and they include a long warranty.

15. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    We don't need screens or OS (we have the licenses already)
    Assuming Windows, which type of licenses do you have already? OEM licenses are non-transferable between computers and volume licenses are only upgrade licenses so you need an existing qualifying OS on the computer (as mentioned by K.C above).

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    I wouldn't go with the broadleaf typically unless you are definitely wanting to mount them, the BLD is cheaper but exactly the same style of case as well as being more spacious inside (the broadleaf can be a little 'fiddly' due to its compact size).

We have broadleaf, BLD and Willow machine around all 3 schools we look after.

I've sent a picture through to @Millgate with our custom design on the front of one of our Willow's to give you an example of what it can look like

The VeryPC machines really do make a mockery of most other machines in terms of their case (o cheap horrible plastic, no blanking plates to snap or push in, custom branding on the front etc).

19. Thanks to RTFM from:

Thank Post
    If you are not after something which is utterly resistant to the casual vandalism of the bored child, or in another inhospitable environment i wouldn't buy broadleaf as you are paying a lot for that 'made of real metal' case.

We use stone for our general desktops these days and we have yet to have one damaged significantly (they still peel the badges off, and they fill the usb ports with gum/blutack). If you are adamant it needs to be impregnable, broadleaf all the way. I'm just very aware that it would be difficult to justify the extra expense to the management at this establishment!

21. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    We use stone for our general desktops these days and we have yet to have one damaged significantly
    That may be down to your pupils as opposed to the case itself. Before we had VeryPC's around school we used to have standard cases which had plastic blanking plates which would constantly be pushed in, removed, etc (all PAT test failures might I add).

Even when we had the original VeryPC (BE units) we had similar issues as they had a metal mesh blanking plate, since VeryPC went away from that case style and now use the full metal cases there simply isnt anything to vandalise on the front of the case other than the USB's (absolutely impossible to stop without just removing them completely, which isnt really an option).

I just wouldn't ever go back to cheap, plastic, off the shelf cases.

The BLD unit's really aren't particularly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Just my personal opinion

23. Thanks to RTFM from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If going i3/i5 and SFF I'd try to look for passive cooling of the CPU and an SSD, the less fans the quieter and generally more robust requireing less matinence. I can't remember who it was on here that was using one as a home server case.

Option 2: look at a car pc case VoomPC Enclosure for Car Applications robust as anything and probably cheap if brought in bulk. You'd need to use Mini ITX boards that supported external power supplies though.

25. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    That may be down to your pupils as opposed to the case itself.
    Ohhh no, the darlings destroyed 2 rooms of HP dc7800 usdt machines in a half term to the point where we had to replace the whole lot and repair the with new parts and redistribute them to less vandalism prone areas of the school (teacher desktops). They just seem unable to get anything into the stone cases to get leverage.

27. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Which Stone Cases do you have Oaktech?

The old One
    stone_maxeo-mini-tower_win7_1.jpg

Or the new one linked to above on there websites. The older ones had the stickers taken off alot but the newer models are the labels etc built into the plastic - we asked stone not to put a Intel or M$ sticker on and they have nothing to remove. The from bottons on the model above used to break rather alot as well. But I have stock of both which stone supplied for those heavy handed staff members!

29. Thanks to glennda from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast