+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Old XP machines scrap or keep? in Technical; My fellow techies please advise. We have to hand roughly 7x XP pro Intel celeron 4A 2400mhz and 25ish XP ...
    Thank Post

Old XP machines scrap or keep?

My fellow techies please advise.

We have to hand roughly 7x XP pro Intel celeron 4A 2400mhz and
    25ish XP pro Intel Celeron 4E 2666mhz computers of which have around 256 or 512 mb ram.

"We are running Server 2008 R2 with Server 2003 running as a virtual print server".

At the time of our install of Server 2008 R2 we were advised that windows xp would not work well with Server 2008 R2.
    As a result of this we have 20ish stand alone machines with internet access and the above sitting and waiting for its fate.

The question is what can we do with these?
    1)Scrap them?
    2)Sell them?
    3)Spend some money and get them upto scratch to use standalone?
    4)Keep them and at some point use them as a thin client depending on cost?
    5)Donate them( legal issue with licenses i guess and data protection)
    6)Join them to our network (possible issues with group policy,please correct me if im wrong about this!)

Your views and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows XP will work just fine with Windows 2008 servers, whoever told you that it doesn't was talking nonsense.

That said, with specs like that they're really not worth keeping. The P4 was a pretty power hungry architecture, I wouldn't want to use it as a thin client personally. If I were you, I'd scrap or donate them.

3. Thanks to Norphy from:

MrPstv (21st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    What norphy said. many of us have XP kit on Server 2008 R2 with no problems at all.

You could try sticking extra RAM in them, but personally I think they're end of life.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

MrPstv (21st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    @Hamzah:

You may want to spend a little money on them to make them last a little longer before scrapping, I have fitted 64GB Kingston SSDnow V series plus added another stick of RAM which we had from other workstations which have come to the end of their life and they work exceptionally well on Windows 7, on a par with a core 2 duo with conventional HDD in.

Depending on how much it would cost to replace with new workstations this is how I would go if cash is in short supply, you can always take the SSD drives out at a later date and put them in newer workstations as you get them thus reducing the costs a little on new workstations.

You pays your money and you takes your choice

Thank Post
    What bossman says I have sold old equipment in the past to other schools in need though.

Thank Post
    You're in the same situation as I was a few weeks ago, our old ICT Suite PC's were P4's with 256Mb ram, which were pretty much useless to us now. I'd kept them around in some capacity for over 2 years, but there comes a time when you have to let outdated equipment go - it may not be 'broken' as such, but that doesn't mean it is still 'fit for purpose'.

Besides, the longer you keep older equipment around, the less inclined your management will be to purchase new kit as making things last longer than they should will become the norm!

"What? You need X new computers to replace those that are only 3 years old? The last lot lasted 5+ years, some are still going! Can't you fix them up? We didn't budget for IT this year, we need [insert random useless resources here]"

Thank Post
    @bossman
    I have installed windows 7 on a couple of random machines mentioned,i have noticed the graphics card will need to be replaced(these are the slim foxcomm cases), upgrade ram at £40 for 2gb, 2gb is maximum that these can have installed, buy additional cals?. I have installed Windows 7 on machines with 2gb of ram and they are at times frustratingly slow.

Thank Post
    Ok but what is the legal status of licenses and the like to do the following? will i need to format the hard drive? remove the license sticker ? not sure about this so advise also needed please.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    What bossman says I have sold old equipment in the past to other schools in need though.

Thank Post
    If you sell/donate them to another school, I personally would load a fresh, blank install of the OS that the machine originally came with (in this case XP) and enter the product key from the sticker on the machine (the OEM licence, that is tied to that machine). That way when you pass the machine on the OS has the original OEM licence key that it would have had when you first bought the machine.

12. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

MrPstv (21st March 2012)

Thank Post
    The oem license goes with the machine (We use volume licensing anyway so usually the oem licence is a cheap home version). We unregister any software and either format them or send them as they are providing there is no personal data on them. That is if they are going to another school.
    If they go elsewhere they are formatted or we get a certificate of destruction if they go for recycling. We never sell PCs or laptops to individuals as you would have to add the VAT at the time of purchase onto the cost and format them thoroughly.

14. Thanks to alan-d from:

MrPstv (21st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Personally, Keep at least 1 or 2 of them for **Testing or LAB** purposes. One of our old XP Machines currently runs PfSense on an enterprise level network with 150 PC's, the PC itself is an old P4 2.8 with 1GB Ram and a 40GB hard Disk, It's one of the old RM SFF machines (blue and white front), I think also from the same batch of machines 15 of them went to a local Internet Cafe a year or 2 back and they are still using them now, I think it's mainly web-browsing they are used for but they do just fine!
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 21st March 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    If I'm disposing of the machine and it's not heading for use by someone else, I let my son loose on it/them. By the time he's finished deconstructing the HDDs there's no way any data will ever be read off them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If I'm disposing of the machine and it's not heading for use by someone else, I let my son loose on it/them. By the time he's finished deconstructing the HDDs there's no way any data will ever be read off them!
    I enjoy taking hard drives apart as well. the magnets can be useful sometimes as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread