+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Setting up same model Network Printers in Technical; We have 3 Samsung Mono Laser network printers that we want to share over the network - presumably to set ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Setting up same model Network Printers

We have 3 Samsung Mono Laser network printers that we want to share over the network - presumably to set them up we run the supplied software on the print server but after htat when the printers are plugged into the lan how do we go about identifying them and ensuring they all pick up correctly over the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Set them up with IP addresses which are static and different. Then Install 3 printers and when installing to print server create new local port/standard TCP/IP enter IP or printer and it should pickup the first. Then repeat for printer 2 and 3.

Just insall the drivers on the server rather then the rest of the cr*p which.comes with them. Once u have installed it once the 2/3rd time will use the same driver
    Last edited by glennda; 20th March 2012 at 07:52 AM.

3. Thanks to glennda from:

speckytecky (20th March 2012)

Thank Post
    As a rule I always avoid running bundled software installation discs on a print server, as they tend to include a lot of useless cruft that you don't need. I usually visit the manufacturer site and download the latest driver - barebones only if it's available. The printers get static IP addresses via DHCP reservation rather than manually inputting via the panel or web interface (it's easier to manage, avoids accidental conflicts, and if you ever have to do a factory reset on the printer it will get the same IP again regardless). Then I just use the standard Windows printer installation wizard on the server, specifying the printer by IP address. Keeps everything simple and consistent across different printer makes and models.

5. Thanks to tigerstar from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerstar View Post
    As a rule I always avoid running bundled software installation discs on a print server, as they tend to include a lot of useless cruft that you don't need. I usually visit the manufacturer site and download the latest driver - barebones only if it's available. The printers get static IP addresses via DHCP reservation rather than manually inputting via the panel or web interface (it's easier to manage, avoids accidental conflicts, and if you ever have to do a factory reset on the printer it will get the same IP again regardless). Then I just use the standard Windows printer installation wizard on the server, specifying the printer by IP address. Keeps everything simple and consistent across different printer makes and models.
    until you get a printer (im looking at you canon) that wont get an ip address until you install their software then stops working if you remove it (looks to be working but print jobs just dissapear into the ether)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can also set the IP on most new printers by plugging it in to the network, printing out the config page to get the DHCP address it's picked up, going to that in a browser and then setting it to the static address you would like it to have.

And +1 for never installing software crud. HP have enormous files of rubbish for that. I don't just mean on print servers, either, I mean for anything...

8. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Typically I setup DHCP scopes as follows (for example):

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

I then set the address pool as 192.168.1.50 - 192.168.1.254

This means you'd have 50 IP addresses not in the DHCP address pool, so they'll never be given out to workstations/notebooks.

Static IPs are ideal for servers, admin workstations, printers and access points.

Most printers have a web interface (if you type in its IP) and it's easier to make changes here. Once this is all setup, you can then install the print driver with the correct port/IP. You can then deploy printers using Print Management or script, whichever method you use.

Thank Post
    I do the printer test page thing with the network unplugged, then set an appropriate IP aside on a reservation based on the mac address on the print out (with a useful name and description), set the printer to dhcp and then plug the printer in, then create a port on the server based on that IP, and use the samsung generic printer driver to install the printer...

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread