+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Disposing of dead hardware / monitors in Technical; We have quite a bit of old outdated / damaged kit that needs disposing. The council dump has an area ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Disposing of dead hardware / monitors

We have quite a bit of old outdated / damaged kit that needs disposing. The council dump has an area for monitors and another for electrical equipment. Would this be sufficient for disposal standards (WEEE)?.

Thank Post

Re: Disposing of dead hardware / monitors

we give all ours to a company called kennedy computers, they take all our old outdated stuff away and see whats salvagable then anything they can salvage they give to poor countrys (afaik) last time they came we must have given them about 30 monitors, 40 base units and about 10 printers that were all assumed dead or obsolite

not sure what sort of area they cover though, wether its local to where i am or if its a UK wide thing

Thank Post

We pay a recycling/disposal company to take away all our old equipment because of legislation. We have to pay them for every item they take away (including vehicle rental!), and the last load included about 16 electronic typewriters which they charged ~£30 each to take away! Now I'm thinking we should use a charity which will probably only charge for collecting.

If you do use a company/charity that sells PC's to 3rd world countries, make sure that they have a decent data destruction policy or that you scrub the hard drives yourself. There was an item on the news a while back about PC's from developed countries ending up in African street markets with sensitive information still on their drives.

Thank Post

The council dump is only for personal/residential waste - you should pay if you are taking commercial waste there. You can buy one-off permits from the council, though, IIRC.

Thank Post

We just paid for 2 tonnes of equipment to be taken away - monitors, printers, base units, and other misc stuff - £620 all in they picked it all up today.

Thats with a local company near Cardiff called Wastechnique.

Andrew

Thank Post

£600+ is a lot of money to spend on what is (from your point of view) throwing stuff out!

These recycling companies seem to be quids in to me - we pay them to take stuff away which they then sell to someone else!

Thank Post

i gave a load of old crt monitors to a charity shop they wouldn't take them until i PAT tested them first though

old hard drives i normally break up as you cant really be too careful plus i get to play with the magnets inside then too

Thank Post

We use a company called lancashire computer waste services who don't charge anything. They take dead and working and promise 100% recycling so no landfill.

They have very professional and helpful drivers and most of the kits seem to go back to needy organisations.

tel: 01254 726303
    www.lcws.co.uk

Thank Post
    We got a load of CRT monitors, old base units, printers (including an old dot matrix hehe!) and scanners removed today. Thats 2 stores cleared, now to move onto the individual classroom rogue computers and main store!

Anyway, I'm based in Co. Antrim (N.Ireland) and for those who are interested, I can recommend a company called AMI http://www.amiltd.ie/ - it was organised via the Education board if I recall correctly (I didn't organise it) but price wise, I think it's about 8 for each base unit, including hard drive disposal. Fully WEEE compliant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garthsmojo View Post
    We use a company called lancashire computer waste services who don't charge anything.
    We also use this company.
    They've been really good in the past and taken everything that we've wanted to get rid of.
    Definitely recommended.
    Old stuff gets recycled and take to countries that need stuff like that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread