+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Anyone recommend some free UPS monitoring and shutdown software? in Technical; Have an APC battery protecting a couple of servers on one of our branch networks. The battery is fully configured ...

Thank Post

Anyone recommend some free UPS monitoring and shutdown software?

Have an APC battery protecting a couple of servers on one of our branch networks. The battery is fully configured and can be managed via web interface etc.

Can anyone recommened any free lightweight UPS monitoring and shutdown software?

Server is Win2003.

Thanks

Thank Post
    By UPS shutdown software are you meaning shutting down the Servers on the UPS?

Thank Post
    Yes. To shutdown the servers gracefully after a period of time should there be a power loss.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    Have an APC battery protecting a couple of servers on one of our branch networks. The battery is fully configured and can be managed via web interface etc.

Can anyone recommened any free lightweight UPS monitoring and shutdown software?

Server is Win2003.

Thanks
    Windows has this capability built in, or you can just use the powerchute software that comes with the APC unit.

To use the Windows capability, you would need to use the serial cable rather than network. I do this here, to save on extra software. Basically on a shutdown call, it runs a script which shuts down the other servers, then shuts itself down.

Thank Post
    APC have a product that does what you need. APC Network Shutdown. Free and does exactly what you want. I use this to shut my servers down over 3 networked APC UPSs.

PowerChute Network Shutdown - Product Information

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Windows has this capability built in, or you can just use the powerchute software that comes with the APC unit.

To use the Windows capability, you would need to use the serial cable rather than network. I do this here, to save on extra software. Basically on a shutdown call, it runs a script which shuts down the other servers, then shuts itself down.
    Does the Windows 2003 server include support for batteries managed via a network connection?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does the Windows 2003 server include support for batteries managed via a network connection?
    No. You'd need a program such as PowerChute to do that - APC UPSs come with it as standard as far as I know. Every one I've bought has.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help on this. Very 'green' when it comes to UPS's!

Have managed to configure the free version of APC Network edition to do all this. Didn't realise any of the network versions were free. Some misinformation on another forum was responsible for that!

Thank Post
    It's good isnt it!!!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help on this. Very 'green' when it comes to UPS's!

Have managed to configure the free version of APC Network edition to do all this. Didn't realise any of the network versions were free. Some misinformation on another forum was responsible for that!
    Powerchute was/is free, but if I remember correctly, APC used to charge for network shutdown software. Presumably they have changed their policy?

However, the Powerchute version that I had would not install on 2003R2, and was very 'flaky' on XP. It did, however, provide a useful log of power events which could stretch back several years, and which I used to persuade Northern Electric that there was a real problem with their supply in our village. They had dismissed complaints from villagers for well over two years, demanding that we provide proof that there was a problem. I was able to provide them with a 120 page report listing every power event for nearly four years, which I don't think they had bargained for!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread