+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Oki Printers - what are they like in Technical; Hi guys We have used kyocera here for years and they have proved to be very good. Recently i have ...

Thank Post

Oki Printers - what are they like

Hi guys

We have used kyocera here for years and they have proved to be very good.

Recently i have been looking into a managed print solution and OKI are the main supplier of a company we have been recommended.
    Everything i have read has been negative so far.

Is there anything positive that anyone can add for me?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Hi guys

We have used kyocera here for years and they have proved to be very good.

Recently i have been looking into a managed print solution and OKI are the main supplier of a company we have been recommended.
    Everything i have read has been negative so far.

Is there anything positive that anyone can add for me?

Thanks in anticipation.
    No

We never looked back when we moved to HP

Thank Post
    Thanks!! i think the one word answer pretty much sums them up!!

I would still like some more opinions.

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've used OKI network pritners in the past, and never had a problem in operation with them TBH. I do recall the colour carts being quite expensive though, so much so that it was cheaper for us to buy a brand new colour laser with cart pack than the renew the OKIs colour toner.
    This was about 5 years ago though, so things may have changed since then.

Thank Post
    I think I ought to justify my answer. Our OKIs dropped off the network randomly because they felt like it, ate toner cartridges and pretty much stopped working whenever I wasn't in the building (I'm part time)

When we got rid of them in favour of HP, we nearly got the rounders bats out to have a printer-battering session in the playground. Everyone was delighted to see them go.

The HPs have been a delight from day 1. The toners are more costly, but they last 3 times as long. I hardly ever have to go and do anything to them. They don't jam and don't stop randomly. They just work. * Fingers firmly crossed and touching wood *
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th March 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I think I ought to justify my answer. Our OKIs dropped off the network randomly because they felt like it, ate toner cartridges and pretty much stopped working whenever I wasn't in the building (I'm part time)

When we got rid of them in favour of HP, we nearly got the rounders bats out to have a printer-battering session in the playground. Everyone was delighted to see them go.

The HPs have been a delight from day 1. The toners are more costly, but they last 3 times as long. I hardly ever have to go and do anything to them. They don't jam and don't stop randomly. They just work. * Fingers firmly crossed and touching wood *
    I was just about to ask for Justification. Thanks.

HP have served us well too although not very many. We have used kyo for years they are reliable and cheap enough to run.

So would you advise to stay away.

I'm not talking replacementng one or two this is a full fleet of 50. I need to get it right

Thank Post
    We only had 4, but that was enough. If you're going down a managed route though, printer repairs and maintenance won't be your problem... they'll have to call the company in. Presumably the company wouldn't have been recommended if there were issues?

@AngryTechnician has gone down the managed route, I'm not sure what printers he's got though.

Thank Post
    Well a managed solution would take away the problems regardless I guess. The problem is I don't want to have to call the company every five minutes.

I have no experience of them whatsoever. Thats not a good start

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician has gone down the managed route, I'm not sure what printers he's got though.
    It's certainly won't be HP that's for sure. Can't quite understand why though, I've been really rather comfortable with the HP printers we have over some of the other brands we've tried.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have used them in the past. They where cheap to buy but very expensive to run. Plus also had driver issues. They where switched for HP and never looked back!

Thank Post
    In Dec 2010 (as part of BSF) we bought 10x Toshiba eStudio MFD but with a cost per page charge that covers warranty service, toner, parts & labour. We replaced 40+ HP, Kyocera workgroup printers which were costing a fortune in toner. We were able to take advantage of a deal negotiated by our LA for their corporate print service & undercut the deal proposed by our BSF contractor.

Print quality is fantastic & the hardware has been very reliable; I have called the engineer out no more than 4-5 times in 15 months, mainly due to quality issues; the response time from the maintenance company has been next business day at worst, calls logged in the morning quite often have an engineer onsite same day. It's great not having to order & stock 15 different toner cartridges..... we log toner cartridges changes via email with the supplier & receive replacements within 48 hours... no fuss.

Funnily enough, I had a call from OKI trying to sell me a managed print solution this week... it was a short call

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In one of my former establishments, we had 7 OKI printers...expensive is an understatement, they needed a budget of their own to run them, ended up going through £4'000 of toner per academic year.

Toners were ridiculously expensive and not good value for money (although I can't moan about the quality)
    Drivers - Issues on XP (and SP1, SP2, SP3) and 7 (and SP1), also issues with server 2003R2/2008R2
    Networking - HUGE issues with networking...they decided to drop from the network mid print, causing issues with the spooler services, also had issues when it came to jobs en masse from networked machines (1 class of 30 machines printing a 1 page document crippled the printer)
    Heat - if you like a warm room, they are good for you, they ran excessively hot in my old place and the paper even got to the point it hurt to touch after being printed. Kids ended up getting told to leave it for 2 minutes before collecting print jobs.
    Random Crashes - for absolutely no reason, they liked to just crash and turn off. Literally no explanation at all.

Support wise - no complaints whatsoever, always had friendly people on the phone and in the end got assigned our own dedicated support advisor with direct dial number, and this person was a gem to deal with. Always got back to me when she said she would, and 90% of the time fixed over the phone, when she couldn't, she sent an engineer (usually the same guy each time).

Ended up switching over to HP and my only regret was HP support was not as friendly and efficient as the OKI support, but otherwise pretty much superior in printers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Ended up switching over to HP and my only regret was HP support was not as friendly and efficient as the OKI support, but otherwise pretty much superior in printers.
    HP support you just have to sound very confident and answer all there questions instantly and they tend to do what you want

I've got HP and Brother Printers throughout. Mainly HP CP3525 and Brother HL4040. We are looking to move away from these to centralised Copiers. Which lease costs etc is more but per sheet is really cheap both colour and mono.

We are currently looking at Ricoh's new Range which look quite good for copiers! But not that I am distracted by the looks for the device

ricoh_5502_home1.jpg

Thank Post
    Expensive :-) we're going down the networked MFp route.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    AngryTechnician has gone down the managed route, I'm not sure what printers he's got though.
    We've gone with Canon for our managed printers, which so far is working out very well (absolutely zero driver issues AT ALL). I don't have any experience with Oki I'm afraid.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast