+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Your thoughts on repairing or replacing wireless part of network in Technical; There are a fair few of us that do. M25man has a few places with it setup, I have it ...

Thank Post
    There are a fair few of us that do.

M25man has a few places with it setup, I have it setup in my school as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    There are a fair few of us that do.

M25man has a few places with it setup, I have it setup in my school as well.
    Has it performed to your satisfaction, and delivered what you want from it?

What are the Pros and Cons of the set-up?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Has it performed to out level fo satisfaction? Yes, it has done everything we have required of it.

Pros:
    Cost
    Ease of setup
    Reduced ongoing costs (in theory)
    No expensive hardware to pay a warranty on
    Easy for self install

Cons
    Current model needs a PoE adapter to use a standard PoE switch (this should be resolved in pro version)
    Only 100meg NICs (Solved in pro version)
    Only using 1 frequency (solved in Pro version)
    It doesn't do "beam bending" etc (but we don't need it to)

For a school it does everything that is needed, Guest Wifi, Wifi codes for visiters if wanted etc. I have 36 access points, I can probably upgrade every single one to a Pro one, then still afford to replace them all again for the same cost of any other manufacturers Wifi. There are cases of people using 1000s of clients on Unifi with no problems.

Thank Post
    Agreed on UniFi, definitely give it a try, the controller software is easy to install and so far reception is good with the 3 loaned UniFi APs. During Easter we will be putting up a few UniFis, Netgear and maybe Extricom kits to have a month test on each system.
    Also waiting to try th Pro version i the UniFi, and if priced competitively, would be very compeling.

Money saved could give me more cash to further overhaul my cabling, because even if i put a 80k Meru in there right now, it will still run like pants.

Thank Post
    Ps with the Guest WiFi function, could this be assigned to Iphone/iPad users so they could just surf the web, with no access to the msin network?

Thank Post
    If you have a an SSID set as a Guest one then then clients are "isolated" they cannot ping each other etc. Access to your network could be restricted or not depending on your setup, personally it is blocked here but although the "Guest" fucntion on Unifi shoudl stop it and isolate them, you probably have to bear in midn that a Guest wifi is usally on a seperate VLAN. So the guests will only access what is on that VLAN unless you start bridging it etc.

We have access to our VLE and Exchange Server bridged, as it is pointless to go out and in from the Guest wifi to access internal resources. Our Guest wifi also only has 2 ports open, 80 and 443.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by confuseduser View Post
    Yes its only when you start looking at things in depth than it becomes apparent there are alternatives, alternatives in price and technology.

One supplier we have contacted is offering to replace the set-up we have with new WiFi access points, controlled by software at a sum somewhat cheaper than this one HP wireless controller.

I have also come across UniFi WiFi systems which seems quite attractive both in technology and price. Has anybody had any experience of UniFi set-up in a school environment? Suppliers/installers/contacts ? ?

Thanks for all the feed back so far!
    Due to the ridiculously low price of this kit (and equally small margins) many suppliers will do their best to steer you away from it with some rather dubious excuses.

There are plenty of expensive sophisticated solutions out there doing a splendid job, but we now approach another transition from 11n to 11ac and I for one am eager to see how this evolves.
    Many of the higher end vendors are playing down 11ac adoption Ruckus especially but it doesnt seem to stop them and all of the others taking top table seats at all of the recent 11.ac conferences

Im working with extremely limited budgets and for one simply cant afford to waste a load of cash on hardware that could be made obsolete in 18 months.

Cheap, Fast, Good choose any two is a common saying here on Edugeek and in most cases is absolutely spot on I dont think this product is any different.
    There are a good number of reputable suppliers out there and an increasing number of installers (if you really need them) however box shifters will probably not be interested due to the much smaller profit margins available to them.

The important thing is that you have been made aware that there are other alternatives out there that work apart from those being force fed to this market sector.

I dont want to be accused again of using this forum to promote a specific vendor as it upsets the sponsors..
    Your all highly intelligent free spirits, not sheep, you can make your own minds up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12