+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Laptop restarts instead of shutting down in Technical; I have a laptop that is restarting instead of shutting down. I have tried all the general troubleshooting options, BIOS ...

Thank Post

Laptop restarts instead of shutting down

I have a laptop that is restarting instead of shutting down. I have tried all the general troubleshooting options, BIOS settings, driver updates etc trawled the Internet for an answer but still not found a solution.

It doesn't matter if the laptop is plugged in to the mains or not (although we do have some others that will stay off until they are plugged into a mains adapater and then switch themselves on). The only way I can get it to stay off is to hold down the on/off button as it reboots. This is not ideal as it is a student laptop and is kept mainly in a trolley in a classroom.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and been able to resolve it?

ict_adeyfield

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Yep, have tried that and probably all of the other suggestions on the microsoft support site. Have even done a new build on it and still the same problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ict_adeyfield View Post
    Yep, have tried that and probably all of the other suggestions on the microsoft support site. Have even done a new build on it and still the same problem.
    In guessing you've already reset bios to default, checked all wake-on settings and no network deployed logoff or shutdown script?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Any bios updates ?

Assuming the power settings are set to shutdown when you want to shutdown and not reboot ( control panel --> power options ) and are there any power management utils like for Lenovo etc ?

Thank Post
    Yep, have tried all of the above and there are no power management utilities, no network deployed log off or shutdown script, thinking it may be an actual hardware fault. It works perfectly fine though, just doesn't want to shutdown.

Thank Post
    Yep, have tried all of the above and there are no power management utilities, no network deployed log off or shutdown script, thinking it may be an actual hardware fault. It works perfectly fine though, just doesn't want to shutdown.
    So when holding down the power button it still restarts ?

vs

Using a linux live disc or win pe disc --> select shutdown or power off and it still reboots instead of actually shutting down or powering off ?

Thank Post
    we have the same problem with one computer in one of our ict suits, cant for the life of me find the problem, i just resorted to switching it off at the wall or leaving it on.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Normally a case of a PSU problem on desktops but as this is a laptop seems unusual.

Try a HDD out of another laptop to rule out OS issues, if still does it, have you got any warranty on the laptop, or as someone else has said above is to try a Linux Live CD of some sorts so you can rule out any OS issues.

Thank Post
    So when holding down the power button it still restarts ? - No, if I hold down the power button as it's rebooting it stays off.

Using a linux live disc or win pe disc-Haven't tried this, so will give it a go.

Try a HDD out of another laptop to rule out OS issues - Haven't tried another HDD, but have completely reimaged the laptop, will try anyway.

Laptop is now out of warranty.

Thank Post
    Right, tried the above still no joy. Thought I'd double check on the warranty though and yay, it's still in, but only just!

Still, I'd like to find out what the issue is though as we do have a few other laptops that are definitley out of warranty and are doing the same thing only they also start up when you plug them into a power adapter.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Right, tried the above still no joy. Thought I'd double check on the warranty though and yay, it's still in, but only just!

Still, I'd like to find out what the issue is though as we do have a few other laptops that are definitley out of warranty and are doing the same thing only they also start up when you plug them into a power adapter.
    We had motherboard replaced on desktop which had same symptoms. Tried what I had suggested and others on here had also suggested jus to satisfy myself before engineer turned up and embarrassed me and still had same problem. Motherboard fixed the issue and now machine shuts off when it's supposed to.

As you have one under warranty try and find out what they replace and see if it is possible to sort but laptops can be interesting to work on. Look at USB ports just to make sure they haven't been knackered and pins touching and shorting against the metal surroundings.

Thank Post
    Funny - we have an RM server that has always done that on Win2003. If you do a restart it restarts. If you do a shutdown, it restarts. You have to manualy catch it when it loads the bios and hold the power button to actually turn it off!

Never got to the bottom of it - I think its simply a hardware fault / motherboard bios bug.

Thank Post
    We had an engineer come in on Friday and he replaced pretty much everything, mainboard, memory, HDD, the power switch PCB, flashed the BIOS, he even tried a different keyboard but still the problem persisted. He's back this morning with another mainboard and new USB connectors. It'll be interesting to see if it solves the issue. I wait with baited breath.

15. Thanks to ict_adeyfield from:

mac_shinobi (12th March 2012)

Thank Post
    We had an engineer come in on Friday and he replaced pretty much everything, mainboard, memory, HDD, the power switch PCB, flashed the BIOS, he even tried a different keyboard but still the problem persisted. He's back this morning with another mainboard and new USB connectors. It'll be interesting to see if it solves the issue. I wait with baited breath.
    Will be interesting to know what the problem is

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast