+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Recommend a UPS in Technical; My UK home APC SmartUPS 1500 was called into action at the weekend, and it seems the battery in it ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Recommend a UPS

My UK home APC SmartUPS 1500 was called into action at the weekend, and it seems the battery in it is completly stuffed as it was only able to power 2 servers and a 24 port switch for about 5 mins, and I used to get at least half an hour out of it previously when I tested it, but probably more as I never really let it run all the way dowy.

So Im looking at a replacement, and would like something with network connectivity so I can monitor it over the network and get emails etc from it.

I was looking at the Eaton 5PX 1,500VA with the network management card but its a bit out my price for home at the moment.

Looking for suggestions for something that might be ~ the 500UKP mark and run these 2 servers and the switch for at least 30 mins.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Would it not be cheaper to buy some new batteries for your current UPS and an APC network monitoring card such as the AP9630?

3. Thanks to Chris_ from:

RabbieBurns (6th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Will that AP9630 work with the SmartUPS 1500? Is it a simple job to install it?

Thank Post
    I've had an AP9617 (now discontinued) in a SmartUPS 1500 working fine. The AP9630 says that it works with the SmartUPS's so it should be fine. It's a case of removing the 2 screws that hold the plastic cover in place on the back, slotting the card in and replacing the screws.

6. Thanks to Chris_ from:

RabbieBurns (6th March 2012)

Thank Post
    There are plenty of used UPS's on the market at present. For best value buy one without batteries, (this saves on postage, and in any case you never know how good the batteries are), and then buy a new set of batteries for it.

I recently bought a used APC SU1000i and two APC SU750i UPS's (with built in USB ports) for 50 all in! I then bought genuine APC replacement batteries (open box) for 55 each!

By the way, the APC SU1000i can be fitted with batteries from the 1500VA model simply by removing the internal restraint rails. This will provide a 50% increase in run time.

NN
    Last edited by Naughty_Nigel; 18th March 2012 at 08:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Naughty_Nigel View Post
    There are plenty of used UPS's on the market at present. For best value buy one without batteries, (this saves on postage, and in any case you never know how good the batteries are), and then buy a new set of batteries for it.

I recently bought a used APC SU1000i and two APC SU750i UPS's (with built in USB ports) for 50 all in! I then bought genuine APC replacement batteries (open box) for 55 each!

By the way, the APC SU1000i can be fitted with batteries from the 1500VA model simply by removing the internal restraint rails. This will provide a 50% increase in run time.

NN
    That's a good bargain you got there Nigel! I wonder where you got them from...

Does the APC software work ok if you're using higher capacity batteries than it expects for that model of UPS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    That's a good bargain you got there Nigel! I wonder where you got them from...

Does the APC software work ok if you're using higher capacity batteries than it expects for that model of UPS?
    Hi again Chris,
    I got the UPS's from somewhere in Staffordshire if I remember correctly.

The APC software has a 'calibration' mode, which is used to calibrate the battery/UPS combination, providing an estimated run-time on batteries. Remember that UPS batteries vary slightly in capacity owing to temperature and design, and in any case lose capacity with age, so the software/firmware is designed to cope with this. Nevertheless, a UPS can get this calculation wrong in exactly the same way that a laptop can; especially with older batteries; which is why it is a good idea to set attached computers to shut down where there is 25% or more power remaining.

In practice, the estimated remaining capacity/run time of a UPS is calculated from the battery terminal voltage (compared with the fully charged value) and load. When the voltage drops below a pre-set value the UPS will send out a signal to attached PC's to shut down. The UPS uses a similar system to check battery health when it is switched on. If the battery voltage drops below a pre-set value when loaded, the UPS will indicate that a replacement is required, even if the battery only needs charging.

NN
    Last edited by Naughty_Nigel; 19th March 2012 at 08:39 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread