+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Xerox ColourQube 8570 Solid Ink Issue in Technical; Hi all I will try to keep this post simple and to the point... Purchased and took delivery of a ...
    Thank Post

Xerox ColourQube 8570 Solid Ink Issue

Hi all

I will try to keep this post simple and to the point...

Purchased and took delivery of a brand new Xerox ColourQube 8570 (solid ink) printer on 2nd February

Installed & Configured for network printing (Admin use) on 3rd February

Purchased additional set of genuine Xerox consumables from regular supplier at 90 each on 6th February

Decided to top up the printer yesterday and found that the additional ink sticks don't fit... printer displays "remove incorrect ink in slot..." error.

Contacted supplier of consumables thinking they had sent incorrect stock but no, those are the correct items.
    Checked Xerox UK website and found this to be true. The stock which was supplied with the printer has a different part number...

Contacted printer supplier who at first, was unwilling to help but after referring them to Sales of Goods Act have now arranged for Xerox engineer to call.

Contacted Xerox myself where I was informed there are two types of this machine, one is for leasing use only and the other for standard sale.

At this time, we are speculating the printer we have purchased is from a batch intended for lease BUT if this is true, the printer should have PPC in the serial number and also firmware installed for the purposes of leasing...

I understand that occasionally, things go wrong and I don't need to tell you about the inconvenience or time spent trying to sort it out because you have all had to sort out something like this but what I am most annoyed about is the sudden show of defences and unwillingness to help from the printer supplier. I was told repeatedly that I must be fitting the ink sticks incorrectly and eventually had to take photographs to prove my case.

So, watch this space for updates next week after Xerox engineer has been out.

Oh, and the printer was purchased for a very senior member of staff, need I say more?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Sales of goods act is for consumer transactions though not business to business ones.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks Ben, reference to the act is what spurred them into action though... I also found the following statement on UK Business Forums: The Sale of Goods Act does apply to a B2B contract except where some of its provisions have been disapplied by the terms and conditions of the seller.
    The purpose of my post however, is to highlight an issue with the purchase of a printer and the supply of consumables so I'd be grateful if we don't engage in a discussion about the Sales of Goods Act.
    Craig

Thank Post
    Not a problem

Keep us informed.

Ben

Thank Post
    Update
    Printer is now working normally following visit from Xerox engineer this morning.

Using the printer menu screen, navigated to Service Usage Profile, printed this then examined line 275 which said Ink Stick Region NA
    Engineer contacted Xerox who then sent a firmware snippet which once installed, changed the ISR to XE (Xerox Europe)

Wax ink sticks now recognised.

I'm happy now it is sorted and that it was a problem with the printer. I can't begin to explain how insulted I felt when someone on the other end of the telephone kept saying "you must be fitting the cartridge incorrectly"

These wax ink sticks are colour coded, have numbers 1 to 4 printed on them and are shaped in a way that they only fit in the intended slot... not too dissimilar from those toy blocks we had as toddlers that we pushed through shaped holes into a little bucket! If I could do that before I could walk or talk I'm pretty sure I can fit these wax ink sticks into a printer without any trouble - as long as my tongue is sticking out of the left side of my mouth...

6. Thanks to Great_Scott from:

plexer (13th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Shame the printer was delivered in that state though tbh but good on xerox for sorting it with an engineer rather than endless emails or telephone calls.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow, didn't know they had different types of wax sticks according to printer use, will have to keep an eye on that though.

But 90 quid a set?? Are they that different to the 8860s we use who's inks are 40-45 a set?

Thank Post
    Pack of four genuine black - 93.00
    Similarly priced for the other colours.
    Fortunate in this instance that we always make sure we have replacement toner in stock for any new printer we purchase otherwise I feel it would have been harder to sort out. The printer supplier wasn't very helpful considering we'd only had it a week. Total page count was 27...

Each wax block has varying notches cut out of it so they only fit the intended machine...

Thank Post
    We've had very good service from xerox, we had a succession of dodgy compatible cartridges for our HP3005's and after our supplier got fed up with us moaning, we got a visit from a man in a xerox branded car who took away about 30 stock hp compatible cartridges and about 5 that were in machines, left us with some paperwork saying what he'd done, and a xerox branded van arrived the next day with replacement cartridges, plus 10 free of our most used cartridge!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ouch - then again Ive just noticed it's an average of 40 for packs of 6 of each colour and nearer 100 for the black (x6) for our Phasers. Wonder what (if any) the difference is between the phaser and colorqube inks. I'd be fairly sure it's none, other than the notches.
    Wouldn't go near lasers again other than for cheap and cheerful desktop printers.

Edit:
    Ooh, learn something new every day: so the original cost of the Phasers are far higher and ink is much lower, however the Colorqube series has higher price ink to compensate for lower priced printer. (although when we bought our last one they were near identical).
    The ink blocks are changed in shape per model due to different melting points of inks when they are reformulated for whatever reason so you can't (without really trying) naff your printer
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 13th February 2012 at 04:13 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread