+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Asus P6T motherboard and the missing RAM in Technical; Bah, I'm suffering one of those 'Nonononono please not me' days after discovering a bit of a problem with the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Asus P6T motherboard and the missing RAM

Bah, I'm suffering one of those 'Nonononono please not me' days after discovering a bit of a problem with the RAM fitted to my PC this morning. I currently have 6GB DDR3 in triple channel mode fitted, but I noticed today that Windows is only showing 4GB. I rebooted, looked at the BIOS and that too is showing 4GB. 'Ah, well, bad RAM' I thought. I swapped the sticks around, and still 4GB, but now it appeared that the centre channel was dead and causing the issue, which could mean that the motherboard has had a component fail. I rebooted and used CPUID and Speccy to see if they reported anything, stangely they both reported that 6GB was present and listed them all in the correct banks (3 out of 6). They even read all of the correct stats for the 'missing' bank. A bit more digging on the P6T now shows a lot of users out there suffing similar problems, and with my motherboard on the latest (and probaly final) version of the BIOS I don't think there is a fix in sight. I even followed some suggestions on a Toms Hardware thread (Asus P6T Delux ram issues - Asus - Motherboards-Memory) about using custom settings, from lots of other rather upset P6T owners, but to no avail.
    Anyone else got an Asus P6T or P6T Delux and had this happen to them and found a solution? I'm a bit miffed because I'm not sure when the fault occured as I could see 6GB not so long back and it would have been handy to narrow it down to when I may have had a problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A glimmer of hope perhaps. This thread lists some non-standard memory configurations I might try: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- *SOLVED* Asus P6T SE: triple channel RAM not working

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    A glimmer of hope perhaps. This thread lists some non-standard memory configurations I might try: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- *SOLVED* Asus P6T SE: triple channel RAM not working
    Log a fault with Asus and hopefully they update the bios, if not its a bad batch of motherboards and they will replace the motherboard ?

As per the last comment in the above link

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyD
    I have a computer store in L.A and we got the same problem with that Model, the alignment of the pins. I called Asus and i told that 10 Motherboards ( it was the new stock of the store) that i received had alignment problems. 1 day later i received 10 new boards, looks like some of them had manufactured problems. So if u have this kind of alignment problem, dont try to fix it yourself. Just go to the store were you buy the mobo and get a new one.

Thank Post
    Drop the memory speed to 1333. I have the P6TD and gave up trying to run the RAM any faster, 1333 is the maximum specified speed for the i7 memory controller.

5. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Dos_Box (7th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all. The board is 3 years old now anyhow, so is way out of warranty. One thing I will check is the processor socket pins though as has been suggested. When the liquid cooler failed last year and I removed it I found that it was screwed down far too tightly. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the processor pins have been bent. I'll try underclocking the RAM first though (it has DDR3 1800!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well the pins are fine (thankfully), which led to a quick trip to CPC for more thermal paste as the cpu began to run at 85 degrees when I put the fan back on! Now for some underclocking and maybe some memory bank shuffling.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Well the pins are fine (thankfully), which led to a quick trip to CPC for more thermal paste as the cpu began to run at 85 degrees when I put the fan back on! Now for some underclocking and maybe some memory bank shuffling.
    A truffle shuffle ?? he he

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Even if it's older than they manafacturer issued warranty period if they have identified a manfacturing fault I would think they would still replace it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, underclocking made no differance, however putting the RAM in banks A1, A2 and C1 worked as per the advice on the Acer forums. Not sure that it'll be in triple bank mode, but at least I've got 6GB back.
    Oh, and apparently the i7 950's memory clock was unlocked so as to be able to utilise higher speed RAM. All very puzzling, but it does look like the P6T series has a fault when it comes to recognising the correct amount of installed RAM judging by all of the posts I've read over the past couple of days on various forums.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Even if it's older than they manafacturer issued warranty period if they have identified a manfacturing fault I would think they would still replace it.

Ben
    Asus have not recognised the fault. That is why there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth. There are quite a few peopel RMA'ing kit a couple of years back, but as a design fault there is nothing out there I can find.

Thank Post
    Well, underclocking made no differance, however putting the RAM in banks A1, A2 and C1 worked as per the advice on the Acer forums. Not sure that it'll be in triple bank mode, but at least I've got 6GB back.
    Oh, and apparently the i7 950's memory clock was unlocked so as to be able to utilise higher speed RAM. All very puzzling, but it does look like the P6T series has a fault when it comes to recognising the correct amount of installed RAM judging by all of the posts I've read over the past couple of days on various forums.
    It's still chip specific though as to how much above 1333 the RAM can be run because the memory controller is on the chip. You can increase the voltage of the RAM and to the memory controller which can help, but it may still not work.

Anything above 1333 on the 950 is out of spec for the controller and isn't a fault, more a marketing exaggeration about the RAM speeds for the board.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hey, I'm just going on what some anonymous guy on the internet said, so it must be true

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread