+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, All in one touch screen PC's in Technical; We are thinking of putting some of these into our classrooms to replace some ageing kit. I am more then ...

Thank Post

All in one touch screen PC's

We are thinking of putting some of these into our classrooms to replace some ageing kit. I am more then happy to run with all in ones and touch screens but would like some feedback if anyone has them in. Looking really for a dell 2320 type machine.
    Many thanks SB

Thank Post
    I bought an Acer All-in-one for an admin PC, it was a cheapy from Amazon (400 or so). Great spec for the price, 22" touch screen, Core 2 Quad etc. Lovely machine, decent build. The hard disk failed pretty much straight away on it and I didn't want to return it, so I swapped it myself - hell of a job. Much easier than working on an iMac to be fair! That's my main feedback - they can be a pig if they break, but they're great in use.

Thank Post
    For all in ones, I like Dells. One of my primary schools bought a load off me recently and they love them. If you need any info on them, I can find out for you. They were really good spec for the price.

They are more rpexpenive than the Acer equivalent but if you're thinking about getting a quantity, then I'd recommend the Dell support

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinbird View Post
    I am more then happy to run with all in ones and touch screens but would like some feedback if anyone has them in. Looking really for a dell 2320 type machine.
    I have a very similar Advent (Currys / PC World's own brand) PC at home - it's getting on for a couple of years old now and has been very reliable. You don't really use the touch screen in day-to-day use with Windows 7, though, although classroom use might be different. As pointed out above, these machine are much like laptops and can be as tricky to repair and upgrade. I think it was Stone and RM who were doing all-in-one cases that let you fit a standard motherboard on the back of a standard VESA-mount screen, so when it comes to upgrade or repair time you can simply take them apart agan.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Normally I'm a Dell fan, but I'm not impressed with their AIO offerings so far. The Optiplex ones aren't true AIO machines, they just bolt together the existing small form factor models with a screen on a special stand, and it looks a bit ugly. The only 'true' AIO models, where the components are actually in a single chassis, are in their small business Vostro line. These don't have the same support offerings and extended product lifecycle as the Optiplex models as they are basically rebadged Inspirons (Dell's consumer models).

Last year I bought a couple of Lenovo ThinkCentre M90z AIOs instead, and on their stand at BETT this year they had the new ThinkCentre Edge AIOs which look even nicer. In particular, the touchscreen surface is now flush with the surrounding bezel (not inset) which I think will be a lot more important with the gestures in Windows 8 which require you to swipe from the edge of the screen.

Thank Post
    Thank you for all replies, we will have a look at some of the lenovo offerings as I have used them before. Still like the 2320's from dell but we will have to see thanks again for you replies.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread