+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Are SFP (Mini-GBIC) brand specific to brand? in Technical; Hi guys, i getting a new switch (hp v1910-48g ex 3COM) that uses sfp mini-GBIC modules..... i am retiring my ...

Thank Post

Are SFP (Mini-GBIC) brand specific to brand?

Hi guys,

i getting a new switch (hp v1910-48g ex 3COM) that uses sfp mini-GBIC modules.....

i am retiring my allied telesis switches that use the same modules.....

can i use these in my new HP switch... or do i have to use the HP branded ones.....

Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question. Just wanna save some money

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    You need hp ones

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agreed.

I'd also steer clear of the generic brand Mini GBIC modules for HP Switches as they have a nasty knack of popping.

Joe

Thank Post
    Some manufacturers only allow their own branded modules to work and others allow any, unfourtunatly HP do lock them down

The HP ones would work in the allied telesis switch though.

Thank Post
    On the plus side, second hand HP GBICs are usually a fraction of the cost of new with a bit of shopping around.

Thank Post
    I know our HP modules dont work in our Cisco switches but I couldnt tell you if your allied telesis module will work in a HP switch or not. Unless someone else has already tried it you will just have to give it a go.

Electrically they should be the same and you can get generic modules but I think its down to the firmware on the switch whether or not they will work; unfortunately some manufacturers force you to buy their modules and they are usually more expensive.

Thank Post
    There are plenty of good "Generic" SFP modules out there just make sure that they have a decent guarantee and are guaranteed to work with your switch.
    I get mine from a supplier in the US that codes them for us and delivers by DHL with a couple of days never had a failure ever.
    As usual some of the Chinese suppliers need to be avoided lets face it would you expect a lifetime warranty on a $25 SFP...

HP are very specific even with their own modules, some switches only accept Type A/B and others C only.
    As long as you do your homework they should be fine.

There is a CLI command on Cisco IOS "service unsupported-transceiver" to disable the detection of a non Cisco module, it disables the flag and allows packets to pass but these devices may not support some diagnostics routines and of course this can affect your warranty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    a couple of weeks ago HP released a patch to allow 3com SFP's to work in some of their kit.
    I installed it on an A5210 but not get the modules working yet.

HP are rubbish like that, the old 3com kit would take netgear etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Generic and *most* unbranded or other OEM branded gbics will work in the V series without a problem. It's only really the E series HP kit that is locked down.
    There are many HP compatibles available that are perfectly good - more importantly for peace of mind plenty of them with lifetime warranties. There is no way in hell we're paying 200 for a transceiver from HP when it's physically identical to the 50 ones we've just bought. It's just a software thing that stops them from working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I'd always recommend you buy genuine modules. I've never had a problem with genuine ones. Once it's installed and configured you can forget about it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We work in schools. Assuming you buy in pairs, thats 400 a pair of genuine HP.
    100 for a pair of decent generics with a lifetime warranty.

That's 300 you can spend on - a computer, a laptop, a wireless AP, a days consultancy, a box of whiteboard markers, a whiteboard, a couple of days of supply teaching, a trip out for a class of kids... I don't need to go on.

Much of our job is maintaining value for money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Personally I go for the branded - I've got random issues with a few old nortels which use cisco gbic's (not sure why!) but they won't link up correct with our HP core so used to have to be routed through another Nortel and the nortel crossed over to the core - I replaced the last one today!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    100 for a pair of decent generics with a lifetime warranty.
    This is the problem. What does a decent generic GBIC look like? How can I tell a good from a bad one? I can't realistically, so HP/Cisco supply branded modules which have been tried and tested.

Computer networks are critical to the day to day running of a school or business, so if you go to the effort of buying a decent switch and properly installed cabling, but then go on the cheap for a GBIC module? It's most likely operating at the fastest speed in your network - 1Gbps or even 10Gbps, so it's not really something I'd ever consider buying on the cheap.

A better alternative is genuine reconditioned modules. There are loads of them about for a fraction of the cost.

Thank Post
    I'm after sourcing some 3Com 3CSFP93 1000Base-TX SFP Transceivers (for 3COM 5500G-EI).

As far as I can see after the 3COM/HP takeover, HP only offer alternatives (i.e. HPX124) for the 3CSFP91 and 3CSFP92 models (both fibre) but not the CAT5e version.

I know ebay have them, and there are companies selling compatibles etc, but I would appreciate some advise on suppliers etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    I'm after sourcing some 3Com 3CSFP93 1000Base-TX SFP Transceivers (for 3COM 5500G-EI).

As far as I can see after the 3COM/HP takeover, HP only offer alternatives (i.e. HPX124) for the 3CSFP91 and 3CSFP92 models (both fibre) but not the CAT5e version.

I know ebay have them, and there are companies selling compatibles etc, but I would appreciate some advise on suppliers etc.
    I've had a look for you @MYK-IT and can't find any through the normal routes i'm afraid. I'll keep looking but it's not looking good

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast