+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, PS2/USB Keyboard adaptor problems in Technical; OK, I need a few knowlegable answers here please. As my old Logitech keyboard is on it's last legs and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

PS2/USB Keyboard adaptor problems

OK, I need a few knowlegable answers here please. As my old Logitech keyboard is on it's last legs and I have an old, but perfectly good Microsoft Wireless Multimedia (v1.0a) Keyboard say in the cupboard doing nothing I thought I'd use that instead. All I needed was a PS2 to USB adaptor to fit onto the wireless adaptor which I duly picked up fom CPC this morning. The only problem is that whilst the mouse side of the wireless adaptor works on it's own seperate USB channel and works fine, the PS2 side seems to be having problems. When I try and pair the keyboard I get a 'USB Device not recognised error. This happens on both Windows 7 and XP. A little looking around seems to indicate that as the PS2 and USB protocols are different simply having an adaptor on a motherboard that does not have PS2 fitted (as mine does) means that you will not be able to use the adaptor as the signal is simply garbles, hence the USB error message.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this and, more urgently, does anyone have a workaround?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, I've found the answer here: ps/2 to USB keyboard and mouse convertor
    In short, a cheap passive PS2-USB convertor isn't going to do it. I'd need a PS2-USB signal convertor that has integrated circutry to correctly translate the PS2 signal over to USB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread