+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Rm one Mobile in Technical; Hi, One of my schools has three Rm One mobile laptops, now being a school kids will pull the keys ...

Thank Post

Rm one Mobile

Hi,

One of my schools has three Rm One mobile laptops, now being a school kids will pull the keys of the keyboard! Okay so keys are lost and i need a new keyboard, contacted RM who tell me that they cannot supply the replacement keyboard for this laptop anymore as they have fell out with the manufacturer. I wouldn’t mind if the laptop was old but it’s not even three years old yet!

I have contacted RM and complained.....they have told me to use an external Keyboard! Grrrrr

Do i have any rights? Consumer rights etc…

Thank Post
    if manufactuer fault then yes, otherwise no other than asking RM who the manufactuer was

Thank Post
    It’s an RM Branded Laptop though ....I’m led to believe I’m not the only one with this issue?

Thank Post
    From memory they were Compal or Asus, probably Compal the earlier RMs were.

Worth a nose on Ebay, used to be crawling with them but probably not so much anymore if RM aren't supplying them anymore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    It’s an RM Branded Laptop though ....I’m led to believe I’m not the only one with this issue?
    The issue of kids ripping keys of a keyboard?

Did you get extra protection for kids ruining the PCs?

rad
    Thank Post
    Is this laptop covered under a 3 year warranty (exclude the fact you are missing keys)

I'd be trying to log a call if it is still covered. If not post a picture of the keyboard and if I have one, I might be able to assist.

Thank Post
    We've had the same issue with the original mobile ones, we have got through so many keyboards until eventually RM ran out. Their supplier doesn't have them either and apparently the original moulds have been destroyed, so no chance of getting any. We've had to replace the laptops because they were unusable.

As for rights, I doubt it. Even if it's in warranty, this isn't hardware failure, it's malicious damage.

(Another RM parts story is they tried to charge us 40 for a 1 inch cable that runs from the power socket on the laptop to the motherboard. I replaced it with generic stuff for less than a quid)

Thank Post
    One of my schools has three Rm One mobile laptops, now being a school kids will pull the keys of the keyboard!
    We actually found the keys had a tendancy to come off if you simply opened the lid a bit too fast - the suction produced by the lid moving proved a bit too much.

Thank Post
    No Warranty left on these laptops, although as pointed out its user damage and would not be covered....I'm just refusing to accept that i have to use an External keyboard on these laptops....i think its really Bad Service from RM and if they cannot provide a replacement keyboard then they should provide a replacement laptop. "Wishfull thinking i know"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    The issue of kids ripping keys of a keyboard?

Did you get extra protection for kids ruining the PCs?
    Extra Protection for the Indestructable laptop? Designed for schools!

Thank Post
    No Warranty left on these laptops, although as pointed out its user damage and would not be covered....I'm just refusing to accept that i have to use an External keyboard on these laptops....i think its really Bad Service from RM and if they cannot provide a replacement keyboard then they should provide a replacement laptop. "Wishfull thinking i know"
    I would side with RM on this, they can try to help you but it isnt a fault of manufactuer and I wouldnt replace the laptop for malicicous damage

Thank Post
    I would side with RM on this, they can try to help you but it isnt a fault of manufactuer and I wouldnt replace the laptop for malicicous damage
    Imagine buying a Car and being told they dont make parts for it 3 years later.....its just not acceptable, The laptop should last 5 years at Least. If the laptop was over 5 years old then i would accept it and replace the laptop.

Thank Post
    We have quite a few of these machines. I have replaced keyboards in the past (when spares were available) but have kept the old ones and use them to pull apart for spares. It looks as though you may have to have a sacrificial machine to be a doner for spares. The power buttons quite often get pushed in on these as well and that seems to be a frequent task just lately.

Thank Post
    Imagine buying a Car and being told they dont make parts for it 3 years later.....its just not acceptable, The laptop should last 5 years at Least. If the laptop was over 5 years old then i would accept it and replace the laptop.
    but if you damaged the car you wouldnt get it done for free! and they would advise you to go straight to the manufactuer as RM should do. Others have said in the thread you can go straight to the manufactuer and if I have issues with a company I ll just move else where so kick up a fuss

Thank Post
    but if you damaged the car you wouldnt get it done for free! and they would advise you to go straight to the manufactuer as RM should do. Others have said in the thread you can go straight to the manufactuer and if I have issues with a company I ll just move else where so kick up a fuss
    Its not the point im not expecting a free keyboard, i want to pay for a keyboard and this is an "RM" laptop....not some other manufactuer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast