+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Hardware Thread, Rm one Mobile in Technical; Hi, One of my schools has three Rm One mobile laptops, now being a school kids will pull the keys ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Rm one Mobile

    Hi,

    One of my schools has three Rm One mobile laptops, now being a school kids will pull the keys of the keyboard! Okay so keys are lost and i need a new keyboard, contacted RM who tell me that they cannot supply the replacement keyboard for this laptop anymore as they have fell out with the manufacturer. I wouldn’t mind if the laptop was old but it’s not even three years old yet!

    I have contacted RM and complained.....they have told me to use an external Keyboard! Grrrrr

    Do i have any rights? Consumer rights etc…

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    if manufactuer fault then yes, otherwise no other than asking RM who the manufactuer was

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    It’s an RM Branded Laptop though ....I’m led to believe I’m not the only one with this issue?

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,678
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 794 Times in 714 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    From memory they were Compal or Asus, probably Compal the earlier RMs were.

    Worth a nose on Ebay, used to be crawling with them but probably not so much anymore if RM aren't supplying them anymore.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    It’s an RM Branded Laptop though ....I’m led to believe I’m not the only one with this issue?
    The issue of kids ripping keys of a keyboard?

    Did you get extra protection for kids ruining the PCs?

  6. #6
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,455
    Thank Post
    323
    Thanked 305 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    Is this laptop covered under a 3 year warranty (exclude the fact you are missing keys)

    I'd be trying to log a call if it is still covered. If not post a picture of the keyboard and if I have one, I might be able to assist.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    38
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    We've had the same issue with the original mobile ones, we have got through so many keyboards until eventually RM ran out. Their supplier doesn't have them either and apparently the original moulds have been destroyed, so no chance of getting any. We've had to replace the laptops because they were unusable.

    As for rights, I doubt it. Even if it's in warranty, this isn't hardware failure, it's malicious damage.

    (Another RM parts story is they tried to charge us 40 for a 1 inch cable that runs from the power socket on the laptop to the motherboard. I replaced it with generic stuff for less than a quid)

  8. #8

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,609
    Thank Post
    1,223
    Thanked 772 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    One of my schools has three Rm One mobile laptops, now being a school kids will pull the keys of the keyboard!
    We actually found the keys had a tendancy to come off if you simply opened the lid a bit too fast - the suction produced by the lid moving proved a bit too much.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    No Warranty left on these laptops, although as pointed out its user damage and would not be covered....I'm just refusing to accept that i have to use an External keyboard on these laptops....i think its really Bad Service from RM and if they cannot provide a replacement keyboard then they should provide a replacement laptop. "Wishfull thinking i know"

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    The issue of kids ripping keys of a keyboard?

    Did you get extra protection for kids ruining the PCs?
    Extra Protection for the Indestructable laptop? Designed for schools!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    No Warranty left on these laptops, although as pointed out its user damage and would not be covered....I'm just refusing to accept that i have to use an External keyboard on these laptops....i think its really Bad Service from RM and if they cannot provide a replacement keyboard then they should provide a replacement laptop. "Wishfull thinking i know"
    I would side with RM on this, they can try to help you but it isnt a fault of manufactuer and I wouldnt replace the laptop for malicicous damage

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    I would side with RM on this, they can try to help you but it isnt a fault of manufactuer and I wouldnt replace the laptop for malicicous damage
    Imagine buying a Car and being told they dont make parts for it 3 years later.....its just not acceptable, The laptop should last 5 years at Least. If the laptop was over 5 years old then i would accept it and replace the laptop.

  13. #13

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,108
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 206 Times in 156 Posts
    Rep Power
    170
    We have quite a few of these machines. I have replaced keyboards in the past (when spares were available) but have kept the old ones and use them to pull apart for spares. It looks as though you may have to have a sacrificial machine to be a doner for spares. The power buttons quite often get pushed in on these as well and that seems to be a frequent task just lately.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    Imagine buying a Car and being told they dont make parts for it 3 years later.....its just not acceptable, The laptop should last 5 years at Least. If the laptop was over 5 years old then i would accept it and replace the laptop.
    but if you damaged the car you wouldnt get it done for free! and they would advise you to go straight to the manufactuer as RM should do. Others have said in the thread you can go straight to the manufactuer and if I have issues with a company I ll just move else where so kick up a fuss

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Four Oaks
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    but if you damaged the car you wouldnt get it done for free! and they would advise you to go straight to the manufactuer as RM should do. Others have said in the thread you can go straight to the manufactuer and if I have issues with a company I ll just move else where so kick up a fuss
    Its not the point im not expecting a free keyboard, i want to pay for a keyboard and this is an "RM" laptop....not some other manufactuer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Experiences of RM Widescreen Mobile one
    By Tyrfau in forum Hardware
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th March 2010, 02:09 PM
  2. New RM Widescreen Mobile Ones
    By mattx in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12th March 2009, 05:55 PM
  3. Ghosting RM Ones.. RTL8169 saga continues.... Help!!!!
    By Grommit in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th March 2009, 04:17 PM
  4. RM One + Remote Installation Service
    By faza in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th January 2008, 12:23 PM
  5. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2nd November 2007, 05:20 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •