+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Alternative Finger Print Scanners for use with Cunninghams Impact in Technical; We currently use the DigitalPersona U.are.U 4500, more recently they are starting to not scan properly, it looks like the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts

Alternative Finger Print Scanners for use with Cunninghams Impact

We currently use the DigitalPersona U.are.U 4500, more recently they are starting to not scan properly, it looks like the gel like layer is scratched and appears to perm have a finger print on it.

We are currently looking to get some new ones - anybody recommend anything other then the DigitalPersona ones? I've not got a problem with them just seeing if there are better alternatives out there.

Thank Post
    You can get a version of the U.are.U 4500 without the gel coating called the U.are.U 4500 (NC) It's more expensive but more durable as a result. The only draw back is it can find some prints more difficult to read and is more prone to miss-reads.

We've had horrendous problems with the readers on our biometrics system, we must replace most of them at least once a year as the slightest scratch on the gel coating seems to result in a massive reduction in the scanners ability to read prints - I'm still not convinced by biometrics technology.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We've had horrendous problems with the readers on our biometrics system, we must replace most of them at least once a year as the slightest scratch on the gel coating seems to result in a massive reduction in the scanners ability to read prints - I'm still not convinced by biometrics technology.
    Yeah seems to be what we are experiencing. At least ours have done 2 years but in that time each scanner was probably done 300 reads per day for 2 years which isn't to bad. I've also just seen they do a High Durability one.

Our biometric works well, we are just starting to see the degrading of the scanners but overall its worked well - and has turned our catering from losing money to breaking even/making money for improvments.

Our biometric

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    That gel coating is a key feature of that product that rivals point out which I hadn't noticed on it till I went and got the broken Library scanner as it was the same unit and had a small poke and saw it and then bam it was peeling and flaking so clearly a design flaw. I prefer the non-gel units that other vendors supply with the Cashless but its a case of will the Cunninghams system support any other vendors fingerprint readers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That gel coating is a key feature of that product that rivals point out which I hadn't noticed on it till I went and got the broken Library scanner as it was the same unit and had a small poke and saw it and then bam it was peeling and flaking so clearly a design flaw. I prefer the non-gel units that other vendors supply with the Cashless but its a case of will the Cunninghams system support any other vendors fingerprint readers?
    That's what i'm not sure about!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread