+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Protecting smartboards from damage in Technical; We hire out over the summer too. We make sure that all the temp staff are given a welcome sheet ...

Thank Post

Re: Protecting smartboards from damage

We hire out over the summer too. We make sure that all the temp staff are given a welcome sheet laying down the law about the boards. No rooms have markers in them and we give them use of the pc's, locked down account, so that they can use the interactive boards.

To be honest we have found that they are abused a lot less if we give them access to the equipment than telling them not to use it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    That why i decided right from the offset that we would go Promethean Activboard and to date have had no problems over 5 years.

(Not gloating just making an observation on the resilience of the Promethean product as to the Smartboard alternative)
    I have found the Promethean boards very durable. Only concerns i have is:

The corners have been known to be broken off, this exposes a weak part of the board. and if not delt with striaght away, if the corner is damaged, it damages the matirx, thus the mouse icon flicks around the pen when appled with the baord. I ahd this happen to a board, unfortunately it was not reported to me. Had to get a new baord. great thing is though promethean do refurbished boards at a smaller fraction of the cost.

The Pens can become a little worse for wear i.e. the nibs wear down or the barrel button becomes stuck, usually due to been dropped. good thing is promethean supply replacement nibs free of charge. as for the pens chassi and barrel button breaking, if the board is under warranty, you can replace both pens free of charge. Other wise you can buy 10 peans for around £100; £10/pen.
    They sound good!

I might have to have a play with one at some point. Trouble is we've kinda set a standard now with smartboard across the campus (about 70 boards).

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81
    We hire out over the summer too. We make sure that all the temp staff are given a welcome sheet laying down the law about the boards. No rooms have markers in them and we give them use of the pc's, locked down account, so that they can use the interactive boards.

To be honest we have found that they are abused a lot less if we give them access to the equipment than telling them not to use it.
    I really dont want to do this. Especially if they expect support them over the summer. The director of ICT said it was something he might consider as a last resort though. I guess we might have to go with it. Gonna go with that signing the board in and out thing on top as well.

Cheers for the suggestions everyone!

Thank Post

I dont provide any support. I work the occasional day during the holidays and if they have any problems i fix them on those days, apart from that they are on their own. LOL The truth is i didn't like the idea either but it seems to work for us and the group we let out too.

Does depend on the school you have coming in though.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81
    I dont provide any support. I work the occasional day during the holidays and if they have any problems i fix them on those days, apart from that they are on their own. LOL The truth is i didn't like the idea either but it seems to work for us and the group we let out too.

Does depend on the school you have coming in though.
    Tey're not too bad really. The students can be little bastards but they dont really seem to bothered about theft or vandalism.

We work everyday during the holidays so we're always gonna be on site if anything goes wrong. Thing is, seeing as they're paying for room hire they might think they're paying for IT support as well if they're using our facilities, which they most certainly are not! We've got a huge summer project to run without running around to classroom because little Jimmy has unglugged the USB smartboard to plug in his data traveller.

Thank Post

At my place, where ever theres technology (or something plugged into a wall) they charge the party who are hiring the place the extra cost of a ICTO (ICT Officer) to be present, they use the term 'on call', but it's just to count up the cost of damage or to prevent them from trying to 'FIX' something themselves!

It's a pain in the behind for the social life, but between 3 of you it's not to bad, plus the overtime is great and often there's free food too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

In the latest Roche AV catalogue they have a Whiteboard / smart board cover, you close the doors and get 2 whiteboards on the front of them, just fit a padlock and your sorted

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12