+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, WEEE Disposal in Technical; Having recently learned that the company we have previously used no longer services our area, I've been looking round for ...
    Thank Post

WEEE Disposal

Having recently learned that the company we have previously used no longer services our area, I've been looking round for new recycling companies.

Now, are these companies having a laugh post-WEEE Directives, or are their costs fair? Collections which used to be free or have a nominal £50 price tag are now going to cost me several hundred pounds per year.

The price does further encourage me to give functioning equipment to charity rather than send it for materials reclamation, however we still need to find a means of getting rid of dead equipment.

I'd be interested to hear of any companies people have found who are not asking such (seemingly) exorbitant figures for this work.

Thank Post

Re: WEEE Disposal

What kind of figures are you talking about?

Round here the LEA reccomended Disposal company charges £5 per PC and £5 per monitor which is quite hefty in my oppinion!

Andrew

Thank Post

If the computers and printers are still in a useable condition the give oxfam a call. They'll pick them up and recycle them for you free of charge.

Thank Post

We're pretty lucky cus all our stuff is DELL and they've got some sort of collection scheme they run which doesn't look too bad (although we havent needed to try it yet). We still havent planned what we're gonna do with eveything else (eek!). In the past we've left it outside maintenance and it... dissapears.

We've called up charities in the past but they havent always been able to take everything we've had to give them and they rarely turn up when they say they will so its not really best to rely on them I find. Also one year a couple of volunteer workers helped themselves to a little more than was on offer.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by simongrahamuk
    If the computers and printers are still in a useable condition the give oxfam a call. They'll pick them up and recycle them for you free of charge.
    For working stuff, we will use Oxfam, Computer Aid or similar such organisation - I have contacts at a local charity for homeless / assisted housing people who could use old computers too. The problem I'm having is getting rid of the dead stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    What kind of figures are you talking about?

Round here the LEA reccomended Disposal company charges £5 per PC and £5 per monitor which is quite hefty in my oppinion!
    Well, that's cheaper than anyone I've spoken to so far. I'm seeing figures like £200 for up to 20 units, often with a "premium" for CRT monitors; one quoted a flat £295 regardless of collection size which would be good if I had a huge collection, but sucks for 10 PCs! Other companies I spoke to gave me a straight no due to the small size of the collection.

Thank Post

We had a "dodgy" company come over from Liverpool - i forget the name now but they came to manchester, collected 2 van loads of old kit and disappeared - no questions asked

I will find the brochure and get the name for you - I say it was dodgy because they sent 2 foreigners in as many vans. it was all free and apparently kosher.

Just remember to wipe any disks

Thank Post

If your based in the north west we collect it equipment from school free of charge.

You can visit our website at www.lcws.co.uk or contact JUSTIN or TRISH on 01254 726303.

Thank Post

Thanks LCWS will make a note of that one - is your website down at the mo as I cant get to it?

Thank Post

worst comes to worst, then dispose of at the tip in small groups. Nobody will ever know.

Thank Post

LCWS will not be replying to this thread due to their account being suspended. Spamming is unacceptable!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

dont you just hate spam its really starting to get on my ???s. Seems its happening everywhere now.

Thank Post

We sell all our kit off to parents by advertising in our newsletter.
    We wipe the HDDs with diskwiper and sell a complete base with CRT, k/b and mouse for £30 and the money goes straight back into our budget to buy more kit.
    I usually manage to make up kit from non workers and dispose of the odd bits in the rubbish bins bit by bit over time. It's worked well up to now but it's getting harder to sell it. I found one keen parent last time who bought all that I had so as to resell it on so I gave him a good deal and cleared everything, working or not, together with old network hubs, switches, NICs, servers etc etc. I can swing the cat in my room now but it won't be long before it collects up again, you know how it is.

BR to all and have a good break.
    I've just realised I'm on hols and here I sit at 11:40p.m. on Sunday night talking about work, hows that for sad.

Thank Post

@Trav It's fine, it's 0148Hrs and I'm reading a forum on a job I dont even do any more :P THAT is sad mate!

Thank Post

trav have you considered the fact that if you sell this old kit to staff and pupils you and the school become liable for any claims if any of the equipment goes faulty. ie setting fire to houses, electrocuting people etc. You will also find that your public liability insurance does not cover these and hence a large lawsuit could happen. It is far safer to dispose of these items properley under the weee/rohas guideline, donate them to charity or if you must sell them then this should be done to a trader who will take on all end of life responsiblities.

Thank Post

These guys provide a sterling service. WEEE compliant and have always taken our stuff FOC. Check the 'services' page...

http://www.electricalreclaim.net/index.html.htm

Ask for Imtiaz.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast