+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP 2600n - I know, I know! in Technical; I have searched but cannot find the exact issue I have. I have been putting one of these lovely things ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,475 Posts

HP 2600n - I know, I know!

I have searched but cannot find the exact issue I have.
    I have been putting one of these lovely things on our network (we already have one and it works fine) but I have an issue.
    Stupidly, I set it all up and sorted the login script so it appeared in teacher's lists of printers before I had told them what or where it was.
    Anyway, came in this morning to find that someone had tried to print to it, and for some reason they had deleted their printing- probably when they found out it had gone to an unknown machine.
    It still says 'deleting' and I can't get rid of it. I have stopped and started the print spooler, restarted the printer, looked in the spool folder under system32 (there is nothing there at all). Nothing else will print.
    I can see the printer via the interface. I can add print jobs to the list. All settings are identical to the working machine. It is networked via a standard TCP/IP port.
    We have a mixed network but this was being printed from an XP machine.
    What have I missed?

Thank Post
    factory reset the printer?

Thank Post
    done it - didnt work

Thank Post
    Is this 'deleting' just on their account? can you just reset profile?

Thank Post
    We have a few of these they are ok if you are only using them for light use i.e. in the heads office etc... Ours are starting to show their age one is ghosting a bit and another tends to leak toner; after updating the firmware to the latest version on HPs site and disabling BiDirectional support we found that they have worked without any problems but we did have problems with them until we did this!

Thank Post
    I will update the firmware. Have already disabled bidirectional printing. No, the deleting is not just on their account, it is there for all users.
    Our other 2600n is fine - it loses its grip on the network occasionally but a quick off/on sorts that out.
    I wouldnt use this one but the IT suite printer (HP2115n) is far too small for the job and constantly reporting paper jams even when there arent any- according to my trusted printer repair man you cant get a new roller array for it.
    My only other option, money being what it is, is the Ricoh I got free and frankly it is a bit big for the space!
    There MUST be a reason why I can't delete this print job!

Thank Post
    Have you rebooted the PC it was sent from?

HP do strange things - We have a couple of services on the server HP Status Server and HP Port Resolver which are related to the HP printers not sure what they do though - might be worth trying to restart those if you have them

Other options
    Reboot the server or delete the printer (if it will let you with a pending job) and reinstall the driver

8. Thanks to ToyHeartsFan from:

witch (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    The machine was rebooted - or should have been as it was shutdown by our scheduled task last night, but I will go and do it anyway.
    Rebooting server not an option until next week - but will keep it in mind
    Cannot delete the printer - won't let me.

Thank Post
    Have you got another server you can install the printer on as a temp workaround? Then you could share it from that until you can reboot the one its installed on already.

Thank Post
    'Fraid not - we only have one. I can reboot when I do an 'early' at that school which will be next Tuesday

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bit late, but how about restarting the print spooler service?

Normally helps (and while can inconvienience, is less so then rebooting the server)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ..... I have stopped and started the print spooler....
    Did that first - was hoping, but it didn't work

Thank Post
    You will need to stop the spooler on the host server then go into the spool folder and delete any spool files therein.
    Is your host server 32 or 64 bit?
    It has been posted a zillion times before but these printers are host based workgroup printers they we're never designed to be put on the end of a server queue and with the amount of bad rep they got because of these very issues is why we don't do queues on these devices.

Install the drivers and an ip port on every machine in the workgroup and they will behave perfectly but attached to a server queue with the unpredictable student printing workloads you can be assured of plenty of repeat performances like this.

The HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer formatter has 2 MB of read-only memory (ROM) and 16 MB of double data rate random access memory (DDR RAM). Both the firmware and the compressed page must fit into the 16 MB of DDR RAM. If the compressed page is too large for the available memory, which is extremely rare but more likely to happen when a student tries to print an entire website, the All Pages Print mode is automatically invoked. The All Pages Print mode reduces the resolution and attempts to create a balance between text and graphics print quality.

I've had one for years myself and as wonderful as it is we gave up on the queue method and went direct printing instead and never had an issue since (apart from the old mirror 4 issue).

HP Color LaserJet 1500, 2600n, 3500 and 3550 Series Printers - Host-based Printing Strategy - c00252237 - HP Business Support Center
    HP Color Laserjet 2600n freezes print spooler | Insert name here

I have just serviced my laser unit and the 2600 is churning out prints again like the day I bought it.

Accept it's limits and work within them the 2600n is one of the best, try to make do the work of a proper PDL device and you will pay with your sanity or your patience.

Thank Post
    They are very cheap basic printers but all of ours are networked and shared on the server, most of them only have light use but the one in the Nursery gets some stick when they start printing batches of photos. I wouldnt recommend them for heavy printing such as an ICT Suite but thats mainly because of the low capacity toner supplies (2k pages) which will cost you a fortune.

I think you have already tried everything you can until you can restart the server and reinstall the driver but one last thing to be aware of although we have very few problems with these printers they do on occasion revert back to default lan settings and drop the static IP so the server cant communicate with them.

Thank Post
    Right - I have now rebooted the server and the queue has gone!! Hooray!!
    BUT still can't print to it. Identical printer using same driver is fine.
    Have deleted port, changed IP and recreated port etc.
    Can ping IP
    Can access printer settings page
    CAN'T PRINT
    No error messages. Print job goes into print queue. What have I missed?? There must be something.
    Please don't go on about how these printers are not good etc - we have no workgroups, only a domain and this is the printer I have, this is the one that needs to work, and I really need to solve this technical issue before I go mad. It must be something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast