+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP 2600n - I know, I know! in Technical; i had the same issue with a 2700 the print job was stuck on the local machine i had to ...
    Thank Post
    i had the same issue with a 2700 the print job was stuck on the local machine i had to delete the users profile on the client to get rid (safe mode)

Thank Post
    Updating the firmware sorted most of our problems when we first had the printers and once one went a bit screwy and I flashed the firmware again with the same version which got it working again.

I would also consider uninstalling the driver and installing it again; as a test if you install the driver on a workstation in the same way as you have on the server will it print from that workstation ok?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Update: any document sent appears in the print queue and I can only delete it by stopping the print spooler, and then deleting the file from the server and restarting the spooler.
    This is telling me something - but what?
    Printer works fine on a local machine - I removed it only the other day. ( I had installed it)
    Can't see how it can be a driver - the driver works fine with the other 2600n
    Have done the firmware update - printer initialised briefly - is that all it does? If it worked, then that means the server can see the printer (I know I can ping it but still).

Now, if I send a document I get that message that it has been sent - no errors but it DOESN'T appear in the print queue!!!!!!!
    Last edited by witch; 18th November 2011 at 12:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Witch

Have you tried plugging a usb or printer cable into the back of the printer into a pc and see if that works.

Now if it does delete the printer from the server and put in another driver say if you used a pcl6 driver last time try a pcl5.

Have you tried changing the nic card over from the other printer of the same model.

Have you tried installing hp webjet admin on your print server and see if you can have a look at the printer and its logs.

Now we have had a printers fireware go poo because something on the hardware had gone but we were lucky and it was under warranty and they had to change the board in the printer.

I hope this helps.

Richard

Thank Post
    If you pop the printers ip in I.Es address bar at the bottom of the device status page it will show the firmware date code which is the release date of the firmware the printer is running ours is: 20070716 there might be a newer version but that was the latest available at the time (it looked like they had stopped updating it).

Updating the firmware will probably remove your settings so you will need to set the manual ip address etc again.

If it works from a workstation with a local install then its got to be a problem with the software / server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post

If it works from a workstation with a local install then its got to be a problem with the software / server.
    Yes I agree or nic card

Thank Post
    The reason it works when connected locally over IP is because the printer is directly attached to the rendering engine (The PC rendering the page using the Windows Raster Driver) the device can talk freely to the Windows Host that is in full control of the both the rendering and spooling functions.

Once you cheat, and hand over the job to a queue server it is no longer an interactive task which is why some users say the de-selecting the BiDerectional Print option fixes the problem.
    It doesnt really it just stops the Server from listening to what the printer is trying to tell it!

Please Stop! Dont Overflow my Buffer! Slow down Mr Server, I cant keep up!
    but your queue server doesnt care - here is the job just take it and shut up complaining...

Create and render the job on the server itself it will be fine, it's the bit in between Client/Server that all becomes hit and miss and is why Host based print devices do not work properly on queue servers.
    As soon as you send it a page full of anything other that ASCII or PCL5 it is likely to gag and fall over.

Cut your losses, put it in a side office where you can load the drivers on to a couple of admin PC's and print direct to the printer nicely at speeds it can cope with and replace it with a diverent box of cogs that will put up with the data lashing that the Print Spooler wants to send to it!

Most people here use and respect Papercut for Printer control so if your not happy with what I have to say on the matter see what the experts in Printer Management Software have to say about Host based printers.
    PaperCut KB | PaperCut and Host-only drivers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Cut your losses, put it in a side office where you can load the drivers on to a couple of admin PC's and print direct to the printer nicely at speeds it can cope with and replace it with a diverent box of cogs that will put up with the data lashing that the Print Spooler wants to send to it!
    BUT as I said - we already have an identical printer that works perfectly well and so all this 'slow down Mr Server' stuff, (and lets not be quite so patronising, there's a love), doesn't really make any sense.
    I have also stated that this is the only printer I have, and I need to get it going so telling me to put it in a side room really doesn't help at all. THERE IS NO MONEY TO REPLACE IT so telling me to do that(again) is a completely pointless exercise.

Thank Post
    As for the other helpful suggestions:
    I have updated the firmware to the latest on the HP site
    Printer works fine locally
    There is only one driver on the site, but I did take that one off and reinstall the one from the disk ( I know it is older but it is the only one I had and the other printer works OK on it)
    No change
    Will look at HP admin thingy.
    I hadn't thought of the nic - I will have to see if I can find a moment when the other one is not being used to nick the nic out of it (!!) for as long as it takes to check.
    Thanks guys

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For the laserjet 2600n I think I'm actually using the Windows Vista driver currently and that's working fine on XP and the 2008R2 Terminal Server (I think it's that one, I've been changing so many drivers recently I've lost track of what's using which)

The other thing I've started changing recently for printers is the Print Processor and taking it from the HP one and putting it on WinPrint -> RAW.

(I did read your post twice and still didn't spot you'd restarted the spooler, sorry)
    Last edited by Cache; 18th November 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Thank Post
    S'ok- I was just feeling a bit frustrated as I cant get the thing going.I will have a look for that driver but I dont think there is one - there seems to be only one (well, 2, one with all the bells and whistles).
    My print processor is set to RAW already as this was the advice from HP themselves some time ago ref a different HP beast

Thank Post
    If the nic was faulty - would I be able to ping the IP?

Thank Post
    have you removed the bi directional support tick on the server and the work stations?

Thank Post
    Done it on the server - where is it on the workstations?

Thank Post
    Because you have got two of them and one is working if you switch the working one off and give the faulty one the same ip does it then print ok?
    If it does then it suggests a software / driver problem
    If it doesn't then it suggests a hardware fault with the printer (or network socket / patch cable)

The only other thing I can think is to double check that all of the settings are the same on both printers using the web interface

RE: pinging a faulty NIC, difficult to say for sure but I wouldnt say that it was impossible that the web interface could be ok and that the printer would respond to pings ok without it processing the print job correctly.

I dont suppose you have a lan to usb print server among your spares that you could try?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast