Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Laptop wont power on in Technical; I have aquired a HP G62 laptop that wont power on. I have tested the charger and that is fine. ...
    Thank Post

Laptop wont power on

I have aquired a HP G62 laptop that wont power on.

I have tested the charger and that is fine. I have replaced the small power button board that plugs into the main motherboard. the motherboard is getting power from the mains.

Is there a way of turning on a laptop without using the power button? I know you can do it with a desktop by bridging a couple of jumpers.

I have tried it with and without the battery and still nothing?

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to try? Its a good laptop and i would love to get it working.

Thank Post
    Check for damaged USB ports, i've had laptops and PCs that won't turn on due to a shorted pin.

3. Thanks to difinity from:

Admiral208 (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Try removing the hard drive and cd/dvd rom before tying the power on. I've also had a laptop that didn't do anything and that was due to a dead hard drive.

5. Thanks to difinity from:

Thank Post
    Weird thing I've had in the past (most often with Acers never had an issue with a HP) is remove the battery - press the power button for a few seconds (no power cable in), then replace the battery + cable and power on

7. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Check for damaged USB ports, i've had laptops and PCs that won't turn on due to a shorted pin.
    I haven't checked this yet but I will do.

Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Try removing the hard drive and cd/dvd rom before tying the power on. I've also had a laptop that didn't do anything and that was due to a dead hard drive.
    I have removed all drives and tried but still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Weird thing I've had in the past (most often with Acers never had an issue with a HP) is remove the battery - press the power button for a few seconds (no power cable in), then replace the battery + cable and power on
    Already tried this.

Thank Post
    have you tried booting it off the charger with no battery installed. we've had a g62 with a battery fault that wouldn't turn on with the battery installed.

10. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    have you tried booting it off the charger with no battery installed. we've had a g62 with a battery fault that wouldn't turn on with the battery installed.
    Yep. Tried that too

Thank Post
    I take it that there are no 'helpfull' diagnostic beeps?

13. Thanks to crt404 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crt404 View Post
    I take it that there are no 'helpfull' diagnostic beeps?
    No. Nothing

Thank Post
    Could be that the battery is dead. I've had laptops that won't even boot off the mains if the battery is dead.

16. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Morning,

Couple of questions.
    1) When you plug the charger in, are their any led's near the DC jack that light up at all? White or blue?
    2) Do you get any action from it at all? Initial drive or fan spin for examplebefore non-boot or does "dead" mean just that. Nothing!!

I've had repairs in on similar HP models that have had power button board failures although, on the jobs I've seen, you usually get an indication from the LED near the DC jack, and or a faint light from the power button board LED when you plug the charger in. Occasionally, if you plug it in, and leave it 10 or 15 seconds before jumping on the go button, you sometimes get a small whir before returning to it's dormant state

D

18. Thanks to laptopsandspares from:

Thank Post
    anyone got any good guides on testing the battery with a multi meter?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    anyone got any good guides on testing the battery with a multi meter?
    You'd need a schematic (ideally) to identify which pins on the battery contact do what. That said the battery honestly shouldn't affect a machine booting from the mains. They've not been wired in series for about 100 years. If the battery is not in the laptop it can't affect the boot process anyway so if you haven't already, take it out and try a boot (but again, it really shouldn't make any difference unless you have charging circuit issues)

D

21. Thanks to laptopsandspares from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    Morning,

Couple of questions.
    1) When you plug the charger in, are their any led's near the DC jack that light up at all? White or blue?
    2) Do you get any action from it at all? Initial drive or fan spin for examplebefore non-boot or does "dead" mean just that. Nothing!!

I've had repairs in on similar HP models that have had power button board failures although, on the jobs I've seen, you usually get an indication from the LED near the DC jack, and or a faint light from the power button board LED when you plug the charger in. Occasionally, if you plug it in, and leave it 10 or 15 seconds before jumping on the go button, you sometimes get a small whir before returning to it's dormant state

D
    1. When I plug in the charger, there is a bright white light that comes on. It then turns red to indicate (I guess) that the battery is charging. If i take the battery out and plug in the charger, it stays a constant white.
    2. There is nothing. Its completely dead.

Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    You'd need a schematic (ideally) to identify which pins on the battery contact do what. That said the battery honestly shouldn't affect a machine booting from the mains. They've not been wired in series for about 100 years. If the battery is not in the laptop it can't affect the boot process anyway so if you haven't already, take it out and try a boot (but again, it really shouldn't make any difference unless you have charging circuit issues)

D
    I agree. Although I am completely stumped with this one. I am willing to try anything.

Thank Post
    Ok with the above in mind, I think it's the power button board. If it was mainboard related you'd expect beeps, fans spinning or some sort of action and you've tested the AC. Can't be 100% but it's a very similar set of cirumstances to other jobs like this I've seen.

From the HP manual the board number is 595204-001, maybe have a look on "The bay", ALT code from HP is 600434-001 see if you can pick up a cheap one? (HP are showing no local stock) There are lots of firms in the trade "breaking" for spares too. You don't want to spend too much on a speculative repair I suppose.

I'm not totally sure bit it might be possible to bypass the board with a screwdriver but they are normally pretty small parts on a ribbon or fly lead, I'd not fancy your chances much of making the right contact

D

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast